Shuttle 557 & 6x86 166: winos2 breaks & Xwindows dies.

Shuttle 557 & 6x86 166: winos2 breaks & Xwindows dies.

Post by Harmon F Seav » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

  Immediately after upgrading my system to the 557 & 6x86 166+ I found that
Warp 3's winos2 wouldn't work anymore and started getting Xwindows crashes
under Linux. I've reinstalled winos2 support and also upgraded the linux
kernel to 2.018  and libraries to the latest but still things are shakey.
  What gives? Is there some timing or DMA problem? I've gone over and over
the bios settings and the manual.

--
Harmon Seaver

hoka hey!
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'
bullshit. Hear me! Dere is no truth but de one truth, an' that is
de truth of Jah Rastafari."
                         -- Bob Marley, 1978.
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1996. License to distribute this post is
available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.

Shuttle 557 & 6x86 166: winos2 breaks & Xwindows dies.

Post by bno.. » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am using the same setup with OS/2.  My upgrade was from a DX2-66 to the
Shuttle and a Cyrix 120+.  Used the same motherboard and all was OK.   I do
know that if you had upgraded from a 486 computer, that OS/2 will make some
adjustments for the hardware change.

I have used the Shuttle in several systems and have found it a very reliable
MB.  I have also used other boards that were inexpensive and have had
problems you are describing.

Though I feel the Shuttle is one of the best inexpensive MB's on the market,
don't rule out a defective one.  All the Shuttles and Octek MB's I have used
I have never really had to make any adjustments other than CPU and HD
settings.  Reduce all other hardware possibilities and if all fails return your
MB.

>  Immediately after upgrading my system to the 557 & 6x86 166+ I found that
>Warp 3's winos2 wouldn't work anymore and started getting Xwindows crashes
>under Linux. I've reinstalled winos2 support and also upgraded the linux
>kernel to 2.018  and libraries to the latest but still things are shakey.
>  What gives? Is there some timing or DMA problem? I've gone over and over
>the bios settings and the manual.

>--
>Harmon Seaver

>hoka hey!
>"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'
>bullshit. Hear me! Dere is no truth but de one truth, an' that is
>de truth of Jah Rastafari."
>                     -- Bob Marley, 1978.
>Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1996. License to distribute this post is
>available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.

*     Looking for OS/2 Information -or- Want to Share Your Information
*     I have information on:
*          1) Betas. 2) Updates. 3) Fixes. 4) Software Retailers.  5)OS/2 Links
*          6) much-much-much-more
*  http://moose.erie.net/~bnoble/os2index.htm

Shuttle 557 & 6x86 166: winos2 breaks & Xwindows dies.

Post by Mack Harr » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Sounds, like you've got a heat problem.  If you have the built in
voltage regulator and not the exterhal VRM, check to see if it's
really hot.  If so, call shuttle at 408-945-1480.  They can tell you
where to buy an external VRM.  It should cost around 15 bucks.

Also, what voltage are you running the chip at? My P-150 is a dual
voltage chip, but runs best at 3.52 (Thats the VRE setting on my
Shuttle).  The P-166 chips may only run at 3.52, I'm not really sure.

Good Luck
Mack Harris

.... deleting

Quote:>>  Immediately after upgrading my system to the 557 & 6x86 166+ I found that
>>Warp 3's winos2 wouldn't work anymore and started getting Xwindows crashes
>>under Linux. I've reinstalled winos2 support and also upgraded the linux
>>kernel to 2.018  and libraries to the latest but still things are shakey.
>>  What gives? Is there some timing or DMA problem? I've gone over and over
>>the bios settings and the manual.

1. upgrade voor Mach32 die past bij 6x86 166+?

Over een maand naar de HCC dagen (www.hccdagen.nl) om een p60 te
vervangen door een IBM p166+ en als het even kan ook een 17" monitor.
Dat laatste vergt een upgrade van m'n Mach32 als ik 1280 x 1024 en 256

vlotte goedkope videokaart voor Linux/X11.
Ik draai zelden Windows3.1 en heb geen enkele behoeft aan Mpeg, 3D en
andere toeters en bellen.

Suggesties wat betreft wel/niet doen qua moederbord (voorzover nog niet
in Howto's en Faq's te vinden) zijn ook welkom.

groetjes van
Geert

2. Japanese Solaris 2.3

3. Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

4. Non-canonical mode in HPUX

5. Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help!

6. Two IPs - one network card - routing not working why???

8. ifconfig/kerneld hang problem: patch

10. 没有人用中文吗?

11. &&&&&& SUGGESTION ??? &&&&&&&&

12. slackware & debian & mdk & RH XWindow on-the-fly (how??)

13. Cyrix 6X86 166+