need a multi-os boot floppy (bad)

Post by MountainNe » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:26:45

I have a Dell Optiplex P100, and the HD controller is bad.  I have stuck a
Promise Ultra 33 PCI in it to replace the bad controller.  The problem is, I
can't get it to boot to the HD using this controller.  I installed Win98 to
the 10GB hard drive using another machine on a primary 6GB partition, then
stuck the HD in this machine to install RH 7.1. I left 4GB for Linux to
install to.  Using RH7.1 and a install CD floppy, I got Linux to install to
the remainder of the HD.  My problem is I can't get the machine to boot
without a Linux boot floopy.  It will boot into RH 7.1 just fine using the
boot floppy, but I can't get a WIN98 option on the boot disk.  I think I
installed LILO to the MBR during install of RH 7.1.  I hope that can be
fixed if it needs to be.  My goal is be able to boot either OS from the boot
floppy.

I don't think the current boot process is using lilo to boot.  I get no
options when I hit the tab key when presented with the boot prompt.  I think
the problem resides with the boot floppy.  I believe it's booting the kernal
on /dev/hde6 directly, bypassing LILO.  If I could tell the boot floppy to
go to the MBR on the hard disk, it would find LILO.  I have already ran
/sbin/lilo and got the correct feedback for the choices in lilo.conf.  Here
is my lilo.conf file:

need a multi-os boot floppy (bad)

Post by Menno Schaa » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 07:39:46

Alot of newbies get stuck with this because they don't get the installation
guide... get a windows start up disk and format the mbr

Quote:> I have a Dell Optiplex P100, and the HD controller is bad.  I have stuck a
> Promise Ultra 33 PCI in it to replace the bad controller.  The problem is,
> can't get it to boot to the HD using this controller.  I installed Win98
> the 10GB hard drive using another machine on a primary 6GB partition, then
> stuck the HD in this machine to install RH 7.1. I left 4GB for Linux to
> install to.  Using RH7.1 and a install CD floppy, I got Linux to install
> the remainder of the HD.  My problem is I can't get the machine to boot
> without a Linux boot floopy.  It will boot into RH 7.1 just fine using the
> boot floppy, but I can't get a WIN98 option on the boot disk.  I think I
> installed LILO to the MBR during install of RH 7.1.  I hope that can be
> fixed if it needs to be.  My goal is be able to boot either OS from the
boot
> floppy.

> I don't think the current boot process is using lilo to boot.  I get no
> options when I hit the tab key when presented with the boot prompt.  I
think
> the problem resides with the boot floppy.  I believe it's booting the
kernal
> on /dev/hde6 directly, bypassing LILO.  If I could tell the boot floppy to
> go to the MBR on the hard disk, it would find LILO.  I have already ran
> /sbin/lilo and got the correct feedback for the choices in lilo.conf.
Here
> is my lilo.conf file:

1. using boot floppy to boot multi OS's (no LILO)

I have a Dell Optiplex P100, and the HD controller is bad.  I have stuck a
Promise Ultra 33 PCI in it to replace the bad controller.  The problem is, I
can't get it to boot to the HD using this controller.  I installed Win98 to
the 10GB hard drive using another machine on a primary 6GB partition, then
stuck the HD in this machine to install RH 7.1. I left 4GB for Linux to
install to.  Using RH7.1 and a install CD floppy, I got Linux to install to
the remainder of the HD.  My problem is I can't get the machine to boot
without a Linux boot floopy.  It will boot into RH 7.1 just fine using the
boot floppy, but I can't get a WIN98 option on the boot disk.  I think I
installed LILO to the MBR during install of RH 7.1.  I hope that can be
fixed if it needs to be.  My goal is be able to boot either OS from the boot
floppy.  Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks.

/ = /dev/hde6
/win98 = /dev/hde1

2. URGENT - Critical A5200 problem

3. Multi-OS Booting with SCSI Drives

4. Sharing mail between KDE and Pine

5. Boot manager multi-OS's

6. Linux Kernel HOWTO

7. Multi-OS Linux and Intel Solaris - Need Help!

8. dump crashes the Sun 4/280 (sometimes)

9. Some help/info needed on multi-os system.

10. Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux

11. No Mac-OS on machine. Need boot floppy

12. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

13. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support