Hard disk recover

Post by Leonardo Giordan » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

An installation of SuSE Linux made 65 (!) little partitions on my HD and
now it doesn't work! I cannot boot from diskette, hd or CD-ROM.
I need to save some files!

Please help me.

Thanks

Hard disk recover

Post by John Smit » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

If you cannot choose where to boot from your BIOS, If you cannot boot from
anything, you're out of luck.

You need to buy a new computer. They are very cheap nowadays

Quote:> An installation of SuSE Linux made 65 (!) little partitions on my HD and
> now it doesn't work! I cannot boot from diskette, hd or CD-ROM.
> I need to save some files!

> Please help me.

> Thanks

1. fsck hangs, kernel panic, How to recover a brocken jaz/hard disk

I am working now for almost a year with my jaz disk and I am pretty
happy. Unfortunatly it broke down just befor I was making abackup copy.

I have put ext2 on a partition called /dev/sda3.
The disk is used upto 67 %

I have used fsck and get the following error
after mounting the disk

kernel panic read_block_bitmap

cannot read block bitmap  block group = 25 block bitmap =204806

I did run fsck -b 9183 and got the message to ignore the error at the
204808 position I said no and after a while longer the system hangs.
If I said yes I get a whole bunch of more questions starting at the
location.

How, should I proceed next. Are there any programs which can copy the
contents to files which I can store than in ASCII form on another disk?

Please help

Gregor

--

NPAC at Syracuse University * http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/gregor
111 College Place, Syracuse, NY 13244-4100

2. Help needed on term119

3. HELP: Recovering from hard disk failure...

4. Does SSLVPN work with Linux (Ubuntu)?

5. How to recover data on corrupted hard disk?

6. Tv card + Sound Card problem

7. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

8. device driver development and C++

9. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

10. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

11. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

12. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?

13. System disk crash - how to recover other disk's files?