Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2

Post by Tom Colthar » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to make this work?
I have read some posts saying it does, but how?
I have downloaded new boot image.
I assume you have to use expert mode to install?
What parameters should be entered?
Is pnp a problem?
Must I boot to Dos first?

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks,

Tom Coltharp

Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2

Post by jw » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to make this work?
>I have read some posts saying it does, but how?
>I have downloaded new boot image.
>I assume you have to use expert mode to install?
>What parameters should be entered?
>Is pnp a problem?
>Must I boot to Dos first?

>Any help would be apprecitated.

>Thanks,

>Tom Coltharp

i've read somewhere that you can just use the regular 2940 drivers after you
change the pci-id in the sources to the pci-id that the 2930 has.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from the problem.
        John Galsworthy

Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2

Post by Vincent Cunniff » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to make this work?
> I have read some posts saying it does, but how?

It does : I have RedHat 5.1 and an Adaptec 2940UW

Quote:> I have downloaded new boot image.
> I assume you have to use expert mode to install?

Nope : ordinary mode worked fine for me, booting off the
CD directly. If you're booting from a floppy, you'll need one
that's specifically aware of the 2940 in order to be able to
use it during the installation.

Quote:> What parameters should be entered?

Nothing special.

Quote:> Is pnp a problem?

Nope.

Quote:> Must I boot to Dos first?

It's best if you can boot straight off the CD, or if not, boot
into DOS, get access to the CD, and run the install batchfile,
which uses a program called 'loadlin' to boot the linux kernel
into memory directly from your CD. Once linux is running, it can
recognise your CD and the 2940 card, and everything should work
perfectly.

If I recall correctly, the batch file is under the 'dosutils'
directory on the RedHat CD.

Once you're actually running Linux, you might want to recompile
your kernel with custom options, including your SCSI card.
Assuming you have configured XWindows and are running it at
that stage, type :

cd /usr/src/linux
make xsetup

and you'll be given a graphical menuing system allowing you to
select kernel compilation options. Find the SCSI menu, and enable
the Adaptec 2940 option (it's listed under the AIC7000 series
or something, but it *is* mentioned by name).

Follow the directions for recompiling your kernel, and everything
should work :-)

Regards,

Vin

Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2