NIC problem on Thinkpad

Post by Dylan Huan » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:18:35

Hi, I hope somebody can help out on this. I installed RedHat7.2 on my laptop
(Thinkpad T22 2647). Everything is working fine except that the network
speed is very slow. I'm connecting to a 100M LAN but the network speed (http
downloading and ftp) within the LAN is only <4.5KBps. The network card is
Intel PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter. And the network is working fine in
Windows2000! The network speed (for ftp) in Windows is about 430 KBps.

It's said that EEPro100 is supported by Kernel 2.4. Yeah, it does work, but
look
at the speed! Anybody has idea on this? Thank you very much!

Regards,
Dylan

NIC problem on Thinkpad

Post by billjehl » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:30:05

Well I'm not going to be much help, but you have my sympathy, I have
exactly the same problem and symptoms with RH7.2-win2000P- eepro100 on a
desktop if I get an answer I'll let you know.
--b
Quote:> Hi, I hope somebody can help out on this. I installed RedHat7.2 on my
> laptop (Thinkpad T22 2647). Everything is working fine except that the
> network speed is very slow. I'm connecting to a 100M LAN but the network
> speed (http downloading and ftp) within the LAN is only <4.5KBps. The
> network card is Intel PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter. And the network is
> working fine in Windows2000! The network speed (for ftp) in Windows is
> about 430 KBps.

> It's said that EEPro100 is supported by Kernel 2.4. Yeah, it does work,
> but look
> at the speed! Anybody has idea on this? Thank you very much!

> Regards,
> Dylan

NIC problem on Thinkpad

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 06:41:04

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:30:05 -0800, billjehle staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>> Everything is working fine except that the network speed is very
>> slow. I'm connecting to a 100M LAN but the network speed (http
>> downloading and ftp) within the LAN is only <4.5KBps. The network
>> card is Intel PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter.  And the network is
>> working fine in Windows2000! The network speed (for ftp) in Windows
>> is about 430 KBps.
> Well I'm not going to be much help, but you have my sympathy, I have
> exactly the same problem and symptoms with RH7.2-win2000P- eepro100 on
> a desktop if I get an answer I'll let you know.

Dylan:  Why in Cthulhu's name did you send me personal mail instead of
*posting* to *Usenet*?  Oh well, to summarize your message, the card is
a built-in Intel 10/100 card of some sort, it is getting an IRQ
assigned regardless of the machine's "Quick Boot" setting, and you're
using kernel 2.4.17.

Which module are you using for this card?  I have heard tell of two
different modules that will work with the EEpro100, called "eepro100"
and "e100".  Try the other one if the one you are using does not work
well (and if you can find it.)  It would also help if I could see the
output of "lspci -vv | grep -A6 Ether" for your system.  Also, Dylan
said that he thinks the driver in kernel 2.4.17 is "shabby".  To test
this, try using an older kernel.  I cannot test this as I don't have an
Intel NIC lying around.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /