1. old hardware/bios story: linux 6.1, slackware 9.0, CDROM, pentium III, pentium I
Hi, I ran into a wierd situation yesterday when I tried installing
slackware 9.0 on an ancient 150 MHz machine. This is my story:
A 4.2 GB HDD was connected to a pentium III machine, and red hat linux
6.1 was installed on it. Then I took this hard drive to the 150 MHz
Intel pentium machine and when the computer was switched on, it said
NON SYSTEM DISK OR DISK FAILURE, REPLACE DISK ...... etc. When the
startup disk was inserted, the machine booted. Immediately kudzu
showed some problems and wanted to unconfigure some hardware, and i
However, at one point, it said "unconfiguring Intel corporation:
Unknown device", and when I told it to go ahead, it exited saying
there was a bus error.
I then got sick of this, cause there was no immediate solution in
sight. I then decided the whole idea of
install-on-one-machine-and-move-to-next was bad. So now I wanted to
install linux on the 150 machine itself. This motherboard has two IDE
slots (primary, secondary), and the bios is Award (version ~ 1.08
antique). I connected the CDROM to secondary IDE (jumper set to
master). Now, the bios doesn't know the CDROM exists, but after
booting into linux with the floppy, i am able to mount the CDROM as
Is it possible to run the install program in the CDROM somehow so that
I get rid of this mess right away? The linux i want to install from
the cd is slackare 9.0 (just the basic stuff only).
I wil be thankful for any helpful responses,
2. ModeLine calc program ????
3. Pentium, Triton, EDO, & Linux?
4. Fatal errors when comoiling Linux kernel (fwd)
5. Pentium 100 MHz Triton PCI - Kernel Panic 1.2.8
6. realname/type of Vobis-PC
7. weird problem, adaptec 2940, pentium 133, triton II mb
8. Telnet from web page to BBS
9. Unix on Pentium, EDO & Triton ?
10. 1.2.8 and Intel ZP triton 90mhz pentium
11. Triton vs. SiS Pentium chipsets
12. HELP: TOKEN RING crashes Linux 1.3.35 only on a PCI Triton Pentium 75 motherboard!!!
13. weird problem, adaptec 2940, pentium 133, triton II mb