SMP question

Post by Caldera Desktop Us » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

This is not a linux question, but I am restricted to the grups on
the news server I have acces to.

  Can you use two cyrix processors on an SMP motherboard? or do you have
to go with Intels when you start using SMP ?

-hans

SMP question

Post by Bruce W. Bigb » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> This is not a linux question, but I am restricted to the grups on
> the news server I have acces to.

>   Can you use two cyrix processors on an SMP motherboard? or do you have
> to go with Intels when you start using SMP ?

> -hans

You must go with two Intels.  The current crop of Cyrix CPU's do not
support SMP.

Bruce

SMP question

Post by Andreas Schiffl » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: This is not a linux question, but I am restricted to the grups on
: the news server I have acces to.

:   Can you use two cyrix processors on an SMP motherboard? or do you have
: to go with Intels when you start using SMP ?

Cyrix processors do not support SMP (yet).

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------_
 Andreas Schiffler  Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies (ISAS),

------------------------------------------------------------------------_

SMP question

Post by Ryan-Emory Lundbe » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> : Cyrix processors do not support SMP (yet).

> Sorry, but Cyrix CPUs DO support SMP, but there is no motherboard which
> can handle Cyrix SMP.

Ouch.  I was hoping that I could get a Tyan Tomcat II and slap two 6x86
P166's in there... but thats a no go huh?  Grrrr I can't afford intel's
prices... I'm hoping that the crazy MMX craze drives prices down ;)

ryan

SMP question

Post by Mario Schmi » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: : This is not a linux question, but I am restricted to the grups on
: : the news server I have acces to.

: :   Can you use two cyrix processors on an SMP motherboard? or do you have
: : to go with Intels when you start using SMP ?

: Cyrix processors do not support SMP (yet).

Sorry, but Cyrix CPUs DO support SMP, but there is no motherboard which
can handle Cyrix SMP.

Bye

--
(Im Uebrigen: WIN95User gehoeren zu den groessten Glaeubigen der Welt:
 Sie GLAUBEN, Sie benutzen ein Betriebssystem )

1. Linux SMP question

Hi, I convinced my boss to buy a PC running Linux as our server. He also
wanted it to be somekind of high end workstation doing some graphical
analysis etc. He is thinking of buying one with dual-processors. I am
kind of against it since I don't believe we will be using more than one
time consuming applicaions at a time. He told me that Win NT can
distribute a process to multi CPUs to make a process run faster even if
there is only one CPU consuming process. Is it also true for linux? I'm
sure if you use multi-thread or more than one heavy processes,
dual-processor would be much faster than a single one. But will Linux
SMP be able to run only one application faster with a dual-Pentium
board? Thanks.
-G.Xu

2. sendmail.cf for RS/6000 ??

3. Newbie SMP question

4. redhat logo on login screen

5. SMP question...

6. Constant Crash in scsi_eh_0

7. basic SMP question..

8. Help needed for S3 ViRGE/GX2

9. Q: SMP question

10. Linux SMP question

11. Four Solaris 2.x SMP questions

12. SMP Question

13. SMP question: Different CPU steppings OK?