PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

Post by Philip Ros » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone offer any help with the following problem.

I have a system running Redhat Linux 6.0. It is currently set up with a Grey
Cell Ethernet Gold II PCMCIA Card which is a network only card. I am now
trying to set the machine up to be able to use a modem. So far I have tried
two PCMCIA modems (the Xircom CreditCard Ethernet + Modem II and the Psion
Dacom Gold Card Global 56K V.90), with the same result. With the modem as
the only device plugged in, it works fine and can connect to my ISP without
any problems. When I have the network card plugged in as well as the modem,
the modem no longer works. When testing using minicom, I have been unable to
get any sort of response from the modem.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I would be grateful for any
suggestions that might help me solve the problem.

Thank you

Philip Ross

(If replying by email, remove the '*'s from my email address)

PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

Post by Daniel Carrer » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Have you looked at /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts to see if there are
any conflicts?
That's the only thing I can think of.

> Can anyone offer any help with the following problem.

> I have a system running Redhat Linux 6.0. It is currently set up with a Grey
> Cell Ethernet Gold II PCMCIA Card which is a network only card. I am now
> trying to set the machine up to be able to use a modem. So far I have tried
> two PCMCIA modems (the Xircom CreditCard Ethernet + Modem II and the Psion
> Dacom Gold Card Global 56K V.90), with the same result. With the modem as
> the only device plugged in, it works fine and can connect to my ISP without
> any problems. When I have the network card plugged in as well as the modem,
> the modem no longer works. When testing using minicom, I have been unable to
> get any sort of response from the modem.

> Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I would be grateful for any
> suggestions that might help me solve the problem.

> Thank you

> Philip Ross

> (If replying by email, remove the '*'s from my email address)

PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

Post by Philip Ros » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Have you looked at /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts to see if there are
> any conflicts?
> That's the only thing I can think of.
> Have you looked at /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts to see if there are
> any conflicts?
> That's the only thing I can think of.

I have checked for conflicts but can't see anything.

Philip Ross

Post by Alex Yu » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: > Have you looked at /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts to see if there are
: > any conflicts?
: > That's the only thing I can think of.

: I have checked for conflicts but can't see anything.

Did you use setserial to see if it is using the expected interrupt?

PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

Post by Philip Ros » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Did you use setserial to see if it is using the expected interrupt?

I have checked using setserial and everything appears to be in order.

I have also been investigating further and have found that the problem seems
to be that the second PCMCIA card to be started does not function correctly.
The first card works fine, but the second seems to run extremely slowly. If
the modem has been started second, when loading minicom, the initialisation
string that gets sent to the modem appears on the screen at a rate of about
1 character every 3 to 5 seconds.

I have now tried replacing both the modem and network cards, and I don't
think the cards are causing any problems themselves. The machine being used
is a Texas Instruments 4000M. Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone
got any ideas for solving the problem?

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Post by Philip Ros » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have checked using setserial and everything appears to be in order.

> I have also been investigating further and have found that the problem
seems
> to be that the second PCMCIA card to be started does not function
correctly.
> The first card works fine, but the second seems to run extremely slowly.
If
> the modem has been started second, when loading minicom, the
initialisation
> string that gets sent to the modem appears on the screen at a rate of
about
> 1 character every 3 to 5 seconds.

> I have now tried replacing both the modem and network cards, and I don't
> think the cards are causing any problems themselves. The machine being
used
> is a Texas Instruments 4000M. Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone
> got any ideas for solving the problem?

I have now solved the problem. The PCMCIA cards were conflicting with the
onboard sound card. I disabled this in the BIOS and now both the network and
modem cards work properly.

Philip Ross

(If replying by email, remove the '*'s from my email address)

1. Texas Instrument PCI7420 PCMCIA controlers don't see any PCMCIA Card

Hi,
I'm unable to use any PCMCIA cards on my Acer Aspire 1363WLMi under
Mandrake 10.1
Everything is ok under Windows XP but I cannot put it in order with
Mandrake.
 >lspci shows :
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 0204
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 1204
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 2204
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3204
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 4204
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 7204
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800 South]
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems
[AirConn] INPROCOMM IPN 2220 Wireless LAN Adapter (rev 01)
00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
00:0b.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
00:0b.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCI7x20 1394a-2000 OHCI
Two-Port PHY/Link-Layer Controller
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Intel 537 [AC97
Modem] (rev 80)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
(rev 74)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX
Go 5200] (rev a1)

I've tested a lot of cards which works under WindowsXP and they never
appear with lspci command.
My two Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller are both present but
never detect any PC Cards !!!

What should I do ?

Regards

Clment

2. Help with iRoot and iManager

3. PCMCIA cards don't work (serial card + 3c562B/563B/Etherlink III)

4. ELM Filter filtersum errors?

5. Old problem: Ethernet and Modem PCMCIA cards not working together

6. Using Star Office 3.1 - useless and futile?

7. don't get Abocom FE2000 and D-Link DFE-650 PCMCIA cards to work

8. Linux and 95 on Separate Hard Drives?

9. SlimSCSI & Modem (PCMCIA) do not work together

10. 3com 3ccem556 combo pcmcia card modem won't work

11. 3c589D pcmcia card - /etc/pcmcia/network.opts

12. X and modem don't work together

13. Sound Card and CD Rom Together Don't Work