Mounting USB drive on Linux

Post by sukruth... » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:56:59

Hey,

I have a USB player which can be configured to act as a USB drive. At
home I have winXP and I can access the contents of the drive easily as
expected. But at office I have "Red Hat Linux 2.4.21-32.0.1". Can
anyone tell me how to access the drive on the Linux machine.
(please excuse, I am a newbie in linux)

Thanks in Advance,
Suk

Mounting USB drive on Linux

Post by Lasse Jense » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 04:17:09

> Hey,

> I have a USB player which can be configured to act as a USB drive. At
> home I have winXP and I can access the contents of the drive easily as
> expected. But at office I have "Red Hat Linux 2.4.21-32.0.1". Can
> anyone tell me how to access the drive on the Linux machine.
> (please excuse, I am a newbie in linux)

Do have root?

Connect the drive. If you have no other USB, SCSI or SATA devices it will
show up as /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 depending on whether it uses a partition
table. Otherwise it will show up as /dev/sdb,c,d,e... Check with dmesg.
Then add a line like

/dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3 auto user,noauto 0 0

to the end of your /etc/fstab. Then create the mount point, /mnt/mp3 or
whatever you like. If you dont have root, ask your administrator to do it.
And dont forget to buy him or her a beer on friday. Then all you have to do
is mount /mnt/mp3 and umount /mnt/mp3 when you connect or disconnect.
Redhat probaly have some fancy automounter that does that for you.

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

1. Mounting USB drive in FC3

I'm using Fedora Core 3 and can't get it to mount a USB flash drive.

Based on what I've found on nesgroups, here is what I've done and the
results:

(nothing found)

usb_storage            61321  0
scsi_mod              118417  3 usb_storage,libata,sd_mod

(no reply)

(no reply)

(the only item in there beginning with "s" is "sdb"

mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda3 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda4 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda5 does not exist

mount: special device /dev/sda6 does not exist

-bash: devlabel: command not found

And that's as far as I've gotten in what I've found on the 'net to help
with some ideas.

I have hope as usb_storage is part of lsmod, but I'm at a loss of what
to do now.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Liam

2. Users directory permissions

3. How-to mount an usb cdrw drive

4. SPARC CPU have a bug? very starange things!!!

5. Help on Mounting USB mini drive

6. need SCSI driver or info work-around

7. Sun Solaris USB Flash Drive mount command (scsa2usb driver)

8. "How to Print under Linux, release Aug 5-93" <--------

9. mount USB flash drive on Unix

10. USB pen drive mounting as read-only

11. can hotplug mount USB flash drive automatically?

12. Linksys USB drive mount problems

13. Mounting a FAT32 USB hard drive