FC5 64 bit , with a weird nvidia

Post by MADMA » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:29:03

Hello,
I recently installed FC5 64bit edition. I succesfully installed it and
now I want to start using it. When it boots, it sends me into console.
I login as root and "startx". Then a mouse pointer shows up and a
banner of fedora shows up, except it is distorted with squigles and
whatnot. I have an nVidia 256mb 7800gt or something similar to that.My
question is, are there any problems with this videocard and support of
it in linux?

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. If you need any more information please ask.

FC5 64 bit , with a weird nvidia

Post by MADMA » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:08:37

It is called an eForce 7800GT. So I believe its a GeForce 7800GT.

FC5 64 bit , with a weird nvidia

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:53:48

Quote:> Hello,
> I recently installed FC5 64bit edition. I succesfully installed it and
> now I want to start using it. When it boots, it sends me into console.

You want to use X, Linux does just work fine without GUI, it
doesn't depend on it.

Quote:> I login as root and "startx". Then a mouse pointer shows up and a
> banner of fedora shows up, except it is distorted with squigles and
> whatnot. I have an nVidia 256mb 7800gt or something similar to that.My
> question is, are there any problems with this videocard and support of
> it in linux?

You want to enable/setup the livna yum repository:

        http://rpm.livna.org/

And install the evil nvidia modules for best performance, you
will need to reconfigure your xorg.conf to enable the nvidia
module. Instructions to do so, if needed should be found with a
quick google search.

A good idea would be to run 'yum update' before proceeding with
the nvidia setup, just to get all updates.

Good luck

BTW
Since you might be new to usenet, this is *NOT* a groups.google
forum, even if it looks like this to you, please quote context:

"Google Groups users please read - Howto reply properly"
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213

#bofh excuse 53: Little hamster in running wheel had coronary;
waiting for replacement to be Fedexed from Wyoming

FC5 64 bit , with a weird nvidia

Post by MADMA » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:03:11

*SNIP*

Quote:> And install the evil nvidia modules for best performance, you
> will need to reconfigure your xorg.conf to enable the nvidia
> module. Instructions to do so, if needed should be found with a
> quick google search.

Why are the evil nvidia modules the best? Others have told me to get
kmod-nvidia. What is the difference? Are they interchangeable?

Quote:> BTW
> Since you might be new to usenet, this is *NOT* a groups.google
> forum, even if it looks like this to you, please quote context:

> "Google Groups users please read - Howto reply properly"
> http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213

I know I know, but I was simply adding some information to my original
post, I wasn't replying.

Thanks,
Greg

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 03:21:09

> *SNIP*
>> And install the evil nvidia modules for best performance, you

[..]

Quote:> Why are the evil nvidia modules the best? Others have told me to get
> kmod-nvidia. What is the difference? Are they interchangeable?

The livna package contains the "evil" nvidia modules, iirc called
kmod-nvidia. The OSS nvidia module "nv" or so, works only with 2D
and even that is magnitudes slower then the nvidia modules.

The reason seems nvidia has done a good job developing an ultra
fast module, no problem if you have all the specs. They could
even more improve it with just GPL'ing it.

Recently tested googleearth for Linux with FC5 and the evil
nvidia modules and have to admit, simply rocks and was fun using.
Without 3D hardware acceleration it's usable but not real fun.

Quote:>> "Google Groups users please read - Howto reply properly"
>> http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213
> I know I know, but I was simply adding some information to my original
> post, I wasn't replying.

Even then, many people including me use a console newsreader,
would have to store (post bone) this message while typing to be
able to go back to your OP and read what it was about, then back
to the article. This is asked a bit much. In addition the OP
might been already expired and removed from most nntp server, so
people just see your follow up. It doesn't make much sense
without the OP. You use Google, which doesn't expire articles
since it is the primary archive of usenet, as this they do a
pretty good job.

Using it to write does cut you of from all advantages real nntp
reader have to offer. Why should one use a stinking browser
environment to type my messages, when one can have the editor of
his choice?

Good luck

#bofh excuse 46: waste water tank overflowed onto computer

Post by MADMA » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 02:54:02

> Recently tested googleearth for Linux with FC5 and the evil
> nvidia modules and have to admit, simply rocks and was fun using.
> Without 3D hardware acceleration it's usable but not real fun.

I have installed the kmod-nvidia drivers. I booted succesfully to X and
change resolution :D. I installed Google Earth but it seems choppy. I
don't it should be choppy with my specs. How do enable 3d acceleration
(or is it already on?). Is there anything else I can do to improve
google earth.

I am so e*d now that I am on a GUI. I feel like I have made a major
leap even though its probably just a small little adjustment you linux
gurus make daily. Anyways, thanks for helping me setup X.

Thanks,
Greg

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 04:41:59

>> Recently tested googleearth for Linux with FC5 and the evil
>> nvidia modules and have to admit, simply rocks and was fun using.
>> Without 3D hardware acceleration it's usable but not real fun.
> I have installed the kmod-nvidia drivers. I booted succesfully to X and
> change resolution :D. I installed Google Earth but it seems choppy. I
> don't it should be choppy with my specs. How do enable 3d acceleration
> (or is it already on?). Is there anything else I can do to improve
> google earth.

Open some xterm/kvt or alike an try:

 glxinfo  | grep direct

Now you should know.

Alternatively start 'glxgears' and see what you get if there are
just a few hundred FPS shown you don't have 3D enabled as
'glxinfo' should have told you already.

With 3D, it depends on the system/graphics adapter. Iirc get
slightly beyond 10800 FPS out of the system.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

"How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora
Core 5?"

Points out some steps to enable it, though I just edited
xorg.conf this should do the same.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 102: Power company testing new voltage spike
(creation) equipment

1. 64 bit Unix (esp. 64 bit IO)

Hi

we are planning to install a large db & file server this year.
All the OS tends to go in the 64 bit direction, so it would
be nice to know a bit what's available today
(or the near future).

I'd be very pleased if you could provide me with some information
about the major plattforms
(AIX,Solaris,HP-UX,IRIX,Digital Unix,SCO, ...
 and WinNT <hope this is not blasphemy :-) >

Filesystem Type (log based or not, ...)
Max. FilesystemSize
Max. FileSize
Max. Virtual Memory Size
True 64-bit (or IO only)

Many thanks
and I'll summarize if there is an interest.

S.Gattert
sni hannover - vt storage solutions

--

2. Graphics Accelerator Card

3. host mastered 64 bit wide transfers to 64 bit PCI slot?

4. 8-bit clean

5. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.

6. Need help starting x

7. HALstation (64-bit processor running 64-bit Solaris) as webserver

8. pass values back to parent sell

9. Is 64-bit Linux "true" 64 bit thru-and-thru??

10. IBM announces 64-bit mainframes and 64-bit Linux for S/390

11. Solaris Intel 8 2/02 & NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

12. FWD: 64 Days to 64-bit x86 Computing!

13. athlon 64 unable to boot 64 bits kernel