trident 9440 VESA video card & atapi cdrom in linux

trident 9440 VESA video card & atapi cdrom in linux

Post by Gavi » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello people

I just installed linux & i'm wondering if anyone could verify if my
hardware will work ok with linux.

The items in question are :

A 1mb VLB trident 9440 video card (9440agi)
A Matsushita atapi 4x ide cdrom connected to an ide interface on a
Vibra16 Soundcard.

I have a 486/133 with 16mb so I will probably have a whirl with xwindows
& I'm just wondering if I will have probs with the video card at all.
Also it couldn't detect my cdrom in the install (slacware 2.3.0) I'm
wondering how would I go about getting that going?

Thanks heaps, I've been using a combination of os/2, dos 6.2 +win31 &
win95 & linux is a whole new ball game for me :) Just got a job at a ISP
so I want to get more familiar with unix/linux commands & general
operation etc.

Thanks!

Post by Robert Schaef » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hello people

>I just installed linux & i'm wondering if anyone could verify if my
>hardware will work ok with linux.

>The items in question are :

>A 1mb VLB trident 9440 video card (9440agi)

Oh no!  Not that!  No, say it isn't so!

Quote:>A Matsushita atapi 4x ide cdrom connected to an ide interface on a
>Vibra16 Soundcard.

>I have a 486/133 with 16mb so I will probably have a whirl with xwindows
>& I'm just wondering if I will have probs with the video card at all.
>Also it couldn't detect my cdrom in the install (slacware 2.3.0) I'm
>wondering how would I go about getting that going?

Well, if you plan on running X-windows, don't even bother with the
version in the Slackware distribution, it won't work.  You need to go to
the xfree ftp site and get the latest and greatest from them.  The
address is ftp.xfree86.org.  You need to grab 3.1.2D AND 3.1.2E.  The
server you'll want is the SVGA server, the directions will help you from
there.  If you have further questions on this, just e-mail me and I'll
see what I can do.

Bob Schaefer