install RH to Compaq 486/33 SCSI 8Mb RAM

install RH to Compaq 486/33 SCSI 8Mb RAM

Post by Michael » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.setup ]
[ Author was Michael Ng ]
[ Posted on 25 Mar 1999 17:45:42 GMT ]

Hi All,

I just received a recycled Compaq Deskpro 486 33/M PC.  Unfortunately, I
don't even any documentation (I tried www.compaq.com, but didn't see any
info about 33/M model).  I really desperate to install Linux to replace
the DOS and Win31 on that PC, but I don't know if Linux will have a driver
for the SCSI controller and video card.

It doesn't use IDE drive, but SCSI instead.  Sorry.  I wish I could find
out more about the host adaptor chip set..  Here is the only thing I have
(by eye inspection)

486 33, EISA bus with 8Mb RAM
SCSI:  MicroNet HA-06 EISA SCSI Host Adaptor
- Bustek 80C20 203,  AMD N80188-10, EMULEX 2400119 are the 3 big chips I
  saw on the controller.
Video: Hi-Res 1280 from Helio Communication, 2Mb
- unknown chipset (the whole chip is covered by a heat sink <sigh> ;)

Any one has any information on this?
Thanks in advance
--
Michael

| http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/8116 |

Michael

| http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/8116 |

install RH to Compaq 486/33 SCSI 8Mb RAM

Post by Michael N » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks.

I don't expect much from running X anyway.  It is basically to be used as
a dumb terminal ;)  I just think why not use Linux if it can ;)

I haven't tried Debian Linux for quite some time.  I'll give it a try..
Thanks again

Quote:> This maybe a long shot.  As far as I know, the Debian boot disk

Post by Rhia » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:(Michael Ng) writes:
> I just received a recycled Compaq Deskpro 486 33/M PC.  Unfortunately, I
> don't even any documentation (I tried www.compaq.com, but didn't see any
> info about 33/M model).  I really desperate to install Linux to replace
> the DOS and Win31 on that PC, but I don't know if Linux will have a
> driver for the SCSI controller and video card.

> It doesn't use IDE drive, but SCSI instead.  Sorry.  I wish I could find
> out more about the host adaptor chip set..  Here is the only thing I have
> (by eye inspection)

> 486 33, EISA bus with 8Mb RAM
> SCSI:  MicroNet HA-06 EISA SCSI Host Adaptor
> - Bustek 80C20 203,  AMD N80188-10, EMULEX 2400119 are the 3 big chips I
>   saw on the controller.
> Video: Hi-Res 1280 from Helio Communication, 2Mb
> - unknown chipset (the whole chip is covered by a heat sink <sigh> ;)

> Any one has any information on this?
> Thanks in advance

Can't help you with the rest of the system, but I can tell you that
Buslogic card (badged Bustek, which makes it REALLY old) is supported in
Linux if it has the current bios/firmware code.  The 80c20 bus mastering
chip was used on the 742A, 747S/D and 757S/D EISA boards, and so the
highest bios version should be 4.70, and firmware 3.37.  However, since
it's a Micronet version, it's probably got OEM code which could make it
wonky with the driver.

Mylex has a file on their ftp server that shows the current revisions of
all the Buslogic boards, what controller chip code they have, what the
'current' bios and firmware are.  It's really handy: go to
ftp://ftp.mylex.com/pub/kbase/curr-rev.txt.

to the listed current revision.  That would eliminate the OEM issue too.
Cost is $20 per chip set, and they bill Visa or Mastercard.

Rhia

http://www.compaq.com/support/desktops/out_of_production/DeskproM.html

|It doesn't use IDE drive, but SCSI instead.  Sorry.  I wish I could find
|out more about the host adaptor chip set..  Here is the only thing I have
|(by eye inspection)

|486 33, EISA bus with 8Mb RAM
|SCSI:  MicroNet HA-06 EISA SCSI Host Adaptor
|- Bustek 80C20 203,  AMD N80188-10, EMULEX 2400119 are the 3 big chips I
|  saw on the controller.

   The key chip is Bustek 80C20.  It is a buslogic chip, and should be
supported.

|Video: Hi-Res 1280 from Helio Communication, 2Mb
|- unknown chipset (the whole chip is covered by a heat sink <sigh> ;)

   Go into Windows, and look at teh driver.  It may tell you the chipset.
Worst case, you should be able to run the VGA driver at 640x480 16 color.
Almost useless, but...

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

1. install RH to Compaq 486/33 SCSI 8Mb RAM

[...]

2. Blocking Timers with Threads

3. NE2000 on 486-33 8MB ram

4. how can I select the last entry from ls -la

5. Cyrix 486, 8MB Ram: Fatal trap 1 with install floppy

6. Linux freezes on shutdown

7. 486 install on 240mb drive w/ 8mb RAM using FreeBSD 2.2.5

8. XF86Config Section "Monitor" for IPC Dynasty

9. Best OS for 486/33 SX w/ 32meg ram?

10. Linux on Compaq 486/33 laptop???

11. Linux and Compaq DeskPro 486/33

12. OS5 on Compaq System Pro 486/33