How do you Change the video Driver?

Post by buschman.. » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

Thanks,
Mike B.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
> Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit
> from X Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The
> letters are out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type
> telnet or startx, those respective programs run fine.

To upgrade the "driver" means downloading and installing the latest X
server from www.xfree86.org. However, this might not be a work for a
newbie.

Maybe you could start by trying to run xf86config or XF86Setup again.
Before that you might want to run SuperProbe to check your new graphics
card. You should also make a backup copy of your /etc/XF86Config before
running xf86config again.

It could also be worth a try to type "reset" when the screen is garbled.
I don't mean the reset button, just type reset at the prompt and press
enter. This does a reset of the terminal, sometimes this is needed when
the terminal is in astrange state after printing a binary file containg
terminal commands. For more info, se "man reset".

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

How do you Change the video Driver?

Post by Velvet Acid Chri » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 27 May 1999 13:33:28 GMT,

>As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
>card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
>How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
>Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
>Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
>Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X

I had the exact same problem a while back. I think I was using the
SVGA server for X. I wound up changing over to the S3V server. Here's
how to do it. Install the XFree86_S3V or SVGA server binary package
(rpm, deb, tgz, whatever your distro uses) then run XF86Setup. Its
pretty easy, choose 'detailed' or whatever when you go to select
your video card, then try the other server. I had great luck with it,
and I suspect you will too.

--
Mental

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.

1. Video driver hooks DOS int 10?

I'm trying to get back into real mode from Linux, and discovered that
the DOS int 10 seems to have been hooked by Linux (probably the video
driver?). I'm wondering if someone knows where in the Linux code this
is, and if it is possible to get the BIOS DOS vector put back
easily...

Thanks,
Lee

2. Reaper program, anyone?

3. Help: MS Word 5.5 for DOS video drivers

4. My samba cann't make Connection from Linux to Win2000

5. Change Video Driver?

6. SOCKS5 port?

7. Help changing video driver

8. Postscript printer & serial port - HELP!

9. Changing resolution without "no video driver"

10. Help changing video driver

11. How do I change drivers for video and monitors

12. How To Change Video Driver?

13. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card