device to use for SCSI tape drive and RH9

device to use for SCSI tape drive and RH9

Post by Pratip Mukherje » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:48:36

I have Adaptec SCSI controller with SONY SDT-7000 tape drive that works
fine under WinXP. Under RedHat 9 (dual boot), what should be the device
name? I have tried using /dev/st0, /dev/mt0, etc with no luck.
dmesg shows that both the card as well as the tape device is recognized.

Pratip Mukherjee

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:52:54

> I have Adaptec SCSI controller with SONY SDT-7000 tape drive that works
> fine under WinXP. Under RedHat 9 (dual boot), what should be the device
> name? I have tried using /dev/st0, /dev/mt0, etc with no luck.

/dev/st0 is right.  Make sure the st.o kernel module is loaded first, as
well as the aic7xxx.o module (presumably that's right for your Adaptec
card).  You can also use /dev/nst0 (non-rewinding).

Define "no luck".  What exactly did you do and what exactly happened?
What error message did you get?

Quote:> dmesg shows that both the card as well as the tape device is recognized.

Show us the output of 'dmesg | grep -i scsi' and 'lsmod', please.  That
will help determine if all of the right modules are in place.

1. setting scsi tape drive mode using minor device no..

Hi

   How to make /dev/st0l (tape0, mode 1) to use /dev/st0 (tape 0, mode 0)..

   now when i give mt -f /dev/st0 status..i get the details..

   similarly i want the same details when i give
          mt -f /dev/st0l
    but i get an error ..device or address not found..

    or

    how can i say that my default tape device`s name should be /dev/st0l..

    is it configurable or choosable by admin?

Thanx
SSK

2. how to replace man pages?

3. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

4. Yellow Pages...

5. Help in SCSI Device Driver Development For SCSI DDS Tape drive

6. tar and zip in some command line

7. blocksize limitations in scsi tape driver (st) when used with DLT1 tape drives?

8. Mandrake 8.0 or RedHat 7.1/7.3?

9. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?

10. Tape Drive Support: HP c1533A DDS-2 SCSI TAPE DRIVE

11. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

12. SCSI tape drive and ESP serial device

13. Major and minor device numbers for SCSI tape drive?