Experiences with turnkey Linux system vendors

Experiences with turnkey Linux system vendors

Post by Jayme Fry » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking to purchase a new Intel Linux system from one of the turnkey
system vendors (VA Research, SWT, Apache, Promox...). I would like to
know if anyone has had experience with any of these vendors. Did you
purchase a system? Were you satisfied with hardware, Linux setup,
service before and after the sale?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jayme Frye
Sys Admin
Epsen Hillmer Graphics Co.

Post by Wade E. Masshard » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking to purchase a new Intel Linux system from one of the turnkey
> system vendors (VA Research, SWT, Apache, Promox...). I would like to
> know if anyone has had experience with any of these vendors. Did you
> purchase a system? Were you satisfied with hardware, Linux setup,
> service before and after the sale?
> Thanks to anyone who can help.

> Jayme Frye
> Sys Admin
> Epsen Hillmer Graphics Co.

I just recently (about 3 weeks ago) purchased a system (VArStation 27)
from VA Research.  This was a big step for me, as my previous experience
with Linux was tinkering with MkLinux on my PowerMac.  I've been very
please with their hardware and their service after the sale.  I've had
to submit questions to their tech support department and I've always
recieved a response in under 24 hours.  I can't really compare my
experience to anything since this is my first Linux system.  The
hardware seems sturdy.  I received the complete RedHat 5.0 distribution
plust a rather enourmous book titled "Linux: The Complete Reference".  I
would buy another system from VA Research in the future.

1. Turnkey Linux system dealers?

     Is there a list of system vendors which offer turnkey Linux systems,
i.e., machines with a current Linux distribution installed, confiigured,
and tested?

     I recall reading about one such dealer, and I suspect that there
may be others, but I can't find any names/addresses in any current posts
or FAQs.

     If there isn't already a list somewhere, I'll post a summary of the

Thanks!

Doug Mauldin

2. Performance and Architecture Software Release: SHAPE

3. UK system vendors or systems known to work with linux

4. how to tune the kernel ?

5. Turn-Key Linux Vendors -- what are your experiences?

6. DEC 2114x NIC Problems

7. consultant needed for turnkey system

8. Weird entries in Apache log

9. Q: Restricting X focus for turnkey system

10. Turnkey systems under Solaris; + Answerbook

11. Rhino Vendors / Experiences (esp. Mega Tech)?

12. Bad Vendor experience "Technology Distribution Network Inc"

13. experience w/ vendors