XFree86 patchlevel3 installation Problem

XFree86 patchlevel3 installation Problem

Post by Hamid Ouyach » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

In trying to resolve the problem arising from an IRQ conflict between my NIC
(3Com9500 Boomerang) and my STB Velocity 128 3D AGP graphics card, I
downloaded -- into the same directory (/var/tmp)--the following files from
ftp.XFree86.org:

x3323upd.tgz (patch 3 for the XFree86 3.3.2)
& the strongly recommended (by the release notes) "extract" utility.

I run Redhat 5.1. I tried to update following the instructions from the
release notes:

run:     chmod 755 extract  (to make the extract untility executable)
cd /usr/X11R6
/var/tmp/extract /var/tmp/x3223upd.tgz

Instead of unpacking the files into their respective directories, I get this
error mssg:

"Segmentation failure (core dump)"

What gives??

I tried another tack:
the patch is available at the ftp site as a .txt file. Saved as, I follow
another set of instructions:
"to apply the patch, run the following command from xc source directory (I
reckon /usr/X11R6/??):
patch -p0 -E <patchname>"

At this point I do not get the prompt but just the cursor to the left
expecting some additional input it would seem. But what kind of input could
that be??

I am really stymied here and hope someone whose used either the "extract"
scenario, or the "patch" one could help me here.

Thanks in advance.
Hamid Ouyachi

To reply remove SPAM from both the above address and the reply field
address.

XFree86 patchlevel3 installation Problem

Post by Phil DeBecke » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

All you need is the SVGA server file, not the entire installation. Just
go to
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/S...

and get the X3323SVGA.tgz file.

If you downloaded this file to /var/tmp, then installation is as simple
as:

cd /usr/X11R6
tar xzvf /var/tmp/X3323SVGA.tgz

That's it.  This will just replace your XF86_SVGA server executable,
which is the only file you need to get X working with your IRQ conflict.

I'm running RH 5.1 with a Diamond Viper 330 AGP and a 3Com 3c905b PCI
ethernet board, and had exactly the same problem you mention until I
upgraded to this server.

Phil

--

> Hello,

> In trying to resolve the problem arising from an IRQ conflict between my NIC
> (3Com9500 Boomerang) and my STB Velocity 128 3D AGP graphics card, I
> downloaded -- into the same directory (/var/tmp)--the following files from
> ftp.XFree86.org:

> x3323upd.tgz (patch 3 for the XFree86 3.3.2)
> & the strongly recommended (by the release notes) "extract" utility.

> I run Redhat 5.1. I tried to update following the instructions from the
> release notes:

> run:     chmod 755 extract  (to make the extract untility executable)
> cd /usr/X11R6
> /var/tmp/extract /var/tmp/x3223upd.tgz

> Instead of unpacking the files into their respective directories, I get this
> error mssg:

> "Segmentation failure (core dump)"

> What gives??

> I tried another tack:
> the patch is available at the ftp site as a .txt file. Saved as, I follow
> another set of instructions:
> "to apply the patch, run the following command from xc source directory (I
> reckon /usr/X11R6/??):
> patch -p0 -E <patchname>"

> At this point I do not get the prompt but just the cursor to the left
> expecting some additional input it would seem. But what kind of input could
> that be??

> I am really stymied here and hope someone whose used either the "extract"
> scenario, or the "patch" one could help me here.

> Thanks in advance.
> Hamid Ouyachi

> To reply remove SPAM from both the above address and the reply field
> address.

1. xfree86 4.0 installation problems

i tried installing xfree86 4.0 from the binary .tgz files, but found that i
couldn't install rpms that need xfree86 without forcing them. so i got the
rpm's for X from rawhide and installed them they complain about needing
various things:
libcurses.so.5 (i have libncurses v5 rpm installed and don't have this file,
only libncurses.so.4), mesa >= 3.2 (which *is* installed, redhat installed
it by default) and glibc 2.2 (redhat 6.2 installed v2.1, and i can't find
v2.2 anywhere- does it exist?).
i foolishly tried forcing the rpms to install and now my system is totally
screwed. so i guess i'll start again, but first i'd like to hear how other
people went when installing it on RH6.2.
any suggestions? what am i missing?...

TIA,
-Luke

2. Epson Stylus 740

3. XFree86 4.1.0-15 installation problems

4. iijppp Idle Timeout

5. XFree86 Installation Problems

6. Setting up a VPN between two Linux boxes

7. annoying XFree86 4.0.1 installation problems

8. syslog.conf need help/examples

9. XFree86 4.1.0 Installation Problem

10. XFree86 Installation Problem...

11. Problems with Xfree86 installation

12. XFree86-4.0-0.16c installation problems

13. XFree86 Binaries installation problem.....