PC Purchase Advice Needed

Post by Shane Koste » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm getting very close to buying a new PC on which I plan to install
both Win95 and Linux, but I wanted to solicit some advice from anyone
who would care to offer it.  I also plan to use XFree86 in Linux.  Other
miscellaneous information: I plan to dual boot Linux and Win95 (probably
with LILO), and will spend most of my time in Linux.

  At the moment, I'm thinking of purchasing a Quantex Pentium 200 (with
or without MMX?), 32 Mb EDO RAM / 512 Kb Pipelined Burst cache, 4 Gb
EIDE HD, 12x Toshiba 125ms EIDE CD-ROM, Matrox Millennium 3D w/4Mb WRAM,
33.6 voice/fax modem, and a 17" Mag Monitor.

  What do you think of this setup?  Any pros or cons I should know
about? Any good alternatives? I would like to stay somewhere in the
$2500 price range. Any advice is appreciated.

PC Purchase Advice Needed

Post by Mark Sutto » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I'm getting very close to buying a new PC on which I plan to install
> both Win95 and Linux, but I wanted to solicit some advice from anyone
> who would care to offer it.  I also plan to use XFree86 in Linux.  Other
> miscellaneous information: I plan to dual boot Linux and Win95 (probably
> with LILO), and will spend most of my time in Linux.

>   At the moment, I'm thinking of purchasing a Quantex Pentium 200 (with
> or without MMX?), 32 Mb EDO RAM / 512 Kb Pipelined Burst cache, 4 Gb
> EIDE HD, 12x Toshiba 125ms EIDE CD-ROM, Matrox Millennium 3D w/4Mb WRAM,
> 33.6 voice/fax modem, and a 17" Mag Monitor.

The machine looks good for Linux.  I point out 2 caveats:

1) The Matrox Millennium is only partially supported in Xfree86 3.2, but
it is very well supported in the beta release 3.2a.  To get the most
out of your Millennium under Xfree86, you will need to run the
beta releases until the next full release comes out.  (No big problem
IMHO.)

2.)  Make sure that modem is a real modem and not a God-forsaken Winmodem.
They don't work in Linux.  (But, you probably knew that!  BTW do any of
the Winmodems even support voice? Just wonderin...)

The issue of "MMX vs. non-MMX Hype or something real?"  has become a religious
issue.  I'm not gonna touch it!  Suffice to say, either one works with Linux.

Quote:>   What do you think of this setup?  Any pros or cons I should know
> about? Any good alternatives? I would like to stay somewhere in the
> $2500 price range. Any advice is appreciated.

|  The Laitram Corporation     | http://www.gnofn.org/~marksu/         |
|  New Orleans, Louisiana      |                                       |

PC Purchase Advice Needed

Post by Kenneth Stephe » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> 2.)  Make sure that modem is a real modem and not a God-forsaken Winmodem.
> They don't work in Linux.  (But, you probably knew that!  BTW do any of
> the Winmodems even support voice? Just wonderin...)

Yes, some of them do support voice. I bought an IBM Aptiva S90 - and it
did have a 33.6 data/fax/voice modem.

Incidentally, when I purchased the machine, I had specifically mentioned
that I was going to load Linux on it, and CompUSA (which was where I
bought it) neglected to mention that the Winmodem would not work in
Linux. So I went back after I discovered this fact (the hard way) and
got them to give me another modem (Newcom) - which works like a charm in
Linux.

PC Purchase Advice Needed

Post by David F » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

] Incidentally, when I purchased the machine, I had specifically
] mentioned that I was going to load Linux on it, and CompUSA (which
] was where I bought it) neglected to mention that the Winmodem would
] not work in Linux.

You makes it sound like they knew it wouldn't work and just
decided not to tell you.  Highly unlikely.
--
David Fox            http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox            xoF divaD

1. Advice on PC Purchase

Hi there,

        I'm in a CS program that's going to use LINUX, and I need some
help in deciding what to get.  Would the following setup work?  I'd
appreciate advice to point me in the right direction.  If something isn't
going to work, could you provide some good alternatives?  I was going to
order this from Dell:

Dell Dimension XPS R MiniTower
        400 MHz Pentium II processor w/512K Cache

Memory 128 MB  100Mhz SDRAM

Video Card
        STB nVidia 4MB AGP

Hard Drive
        8.4 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (Can I get even go to 11 GB?)

DVD-ROM
        2X IDE DVD ROM/PCI Decoder Card

Sound Card
        Turtle Beach Montego A3D 64-Voice PCI Audio Card

If anyone could tell me what will and will not work, I would be eternally
grateful.  I was also told that I might want to try my luck and buy
something with the hope that everything would be supported by the
time I needed to actually use LINUX (Fall).  Thanks in advance.

Don Kim

P.S.  I've already been going through this newsgroup a bit, and I've picked
      up a few web sites that I'm going to visit.  I'd still love direct
      advice from people with experience, though.
--

2. Can't see more than 16meg

3. need advice on new hardware purchase

4. rotatelogs? help

5. Need advice about Zip drive purchase.

6. ksh alias?

7. please need advice for purchase

8. Security of some perl scripts

9. ?Hdw purchase advice needed

10. Advice needed on purchasing an inexpensive ISA SCSI controller.

11. Need guidance in purchasing PC..

12. Backing Up PC Clients from SCO OS5 - Need Advice

13. REPOST: Backing Up PC Clients from SCO OS5 - Need Advice