Problem With Mounting CD-ROM so I choose to use HD install...

Problem With Mounting CD-ROM so I choose to use HD install...

Post by ReDMercur » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

------------4AE8E0D262F0

 Hi You probly remember me. I had posted a question on how to mount my
CD-ROM. Well I am using Slackware December 96 of The InfoMagic Linux
Resource Kit. I have no problems what so ever with the installation from
floppy. I just have a problem with installing the software packages. I
had copied most packages (A, AP, D, N,...etc...) to a directory in
/dev/hda1 which is my MS-DOS/Win95 partiton. I mounted the partition in
Linux alright and it did install the base system (A1...A8). But it could
not find the other packages for some reason. I had those other packages
in the same dir as the base system packs. I had simply copied the
packages from the Source dir of the InfoMagic Slackware CD-ROM into
C:\Slack\*. i had copied them by their folders not files. So the
directory looked something like this:

C:\Slack\A\
c:\Slack\AP\
etc...etc..

So please help if you can. Thanks. I know I know I probly could get this
info easily from the Doc files on the CD-ROM but i find newsgroups much
easier ;)

--Kevin

ReDMercurY

http://home.earthlink.net/~redmercury/

------------4AE8E0D262F0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>&nbsp;Hi You probly remember me. I had posted a question on how to
mount my CD-ROM. Well I am using Slackware December 96 of The InfoMagic
Linux Resource Kit. I have no problems what so ever with the installation
from floppy. I just have a problem with installing the software packages.
I had copied most packages (A, AP, D, N,...etc...) to a directory in /dev/hda1
which is my MS-DOS/Win95 partiton. I mounted the partition in Linux alright
and it did install the base system (A1...A8). But it could not find the
other packages for some reason. I had those other packages in the same
dir as the base system packs. I had simply copied the packages from the
Source dir of the InfoMagic Slackware CD-ROM into C:\Slack\*. i had copied
them by their folders not files. So the directory looked something like
this:</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>C:\Slack\A\</DT>

<DT>c:\Slack\AP\</DT>

<DT>etc...etc..</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>So please help if you can. Thanks. I know I know I probly could get
this info easily from the Doc files on the CD-ROM but i find newsgroups
much easier ;)</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>--Kevin</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>ReDMercurY</DT>

<DT>http://home.earthlink.net/~redmercury/</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------4AE8E0D262F0--

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. ifconfig alias -or- assigning multiple IPs

3. Install OpenServer 5.0.2 on an EIDE HD using a SCSI CD-ROM??????

4. AIX-4.3.3 curses problem

5. Problems using cdrecord sd to mount CD-R as CD-ROM

6. J40, unable to rmdev 'ent0'

7. problem reading cd - sco install using ATAPI cd-rom drive

8. (.bss)

9. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

10. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

11. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

12. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

13. CD-ROM mounting problem when installing