how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ?

Post by 打扁人 » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:47:11

Hi all,
I have a IDE WPI 4424 CD-RW
I was downloaded "gtoaster", in preferences valid drives is /dev/scd0
but my drive on /dev/hdd for CD-RW
I edit it but cant work...

--
?H, ?A!

how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ?

Post by Adam Shor » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

You have to recompile your kernel. In the block devices section, disable
anything to do with your cdrom (all IDE support), enable scsi support and
then go to the scsi devices section, in there enable scsi cdrom, scsi
generic and scsi emulation. I think thats where they are anyway. Recompile
the kernel and reboot. Your cd device(s) should now be detected as scsi
devices and you will be able to use them as such.

Adam

Quote:> Hi all,

Post by D F » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I have a IDE WPI 4424 CD-RW
>I was downloaded "gtoaster", in preferences valid drives is
/dev/scd0
>but my drive on /dev/hdd for CD-RW
>I edit it but cant work...

>--
>?H, ?A!

The CD-Writing HowTo will answer all of your questions. I
followed it and had my burner working in under an hour.

Look for the HowTo in you /usr/doc or point your browser to:

www.linuxdoc.org

Dave Fluri  North Bay, Ontario  Canada

(The opinions herein are mine. I do not speak for my
employer
unless I expressly indicate otherwise).

Post by R.K.Aa » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:38:12

> Hi all,
> I have a IDE WPI 4424 CD-RW
> I was downloaded "gtoaster", in preferences valid drives is /dev/scd0
> but my drive on /dev/hdd for CD-RW
> I edit it but cant work...

the CD-Writing HOWTO is found at
http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/CD-Writing/html/

in t he quickstart there's a few sample scripts to load/test drivers with.

As for making linux recognize the CD/RW as a fake SCSI device (which
you'll have to do) you at least initially should place this line in
your lilo.conf (if you use that) and then run /sbin/lilo

append="hdb=ide-scsi"

Read more about this in the HOWTO.

I just installed a CD/RW myself and found that several of the drivers
(or modules) the HOWTO refer to were actually precompiled into the
kernel (RH6.2). Took me a while to figure out why i didn't find those
modules at first. At least in RH6.2 ALL the modules you need are already
in the kernel - or it's made modular for them, so they are where they
should be, just waiting to be insmod'ed (or modprobe'd - whatever you
prefer.)

Good luck.

R.K.Aa.

Post by R.K.Aa » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:41:25

> Hi all,
> I have a IDE WPI 4424 CD-RW
> I was downloaded "gtoaster", in preferences valid drives is /dev/scd0
> but my drive on /dev/hdd for CD-RW
> I edit it but cant work...

an error in my previous reply:

you of course refer to the actual drive, so in your case it would be

append="hdd=ide-scsi"

R.K.Aa.

1. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

-

2. What do tiers mean?

3. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

4. sio1 not found at 0x2f8 <---- why ?

5. replacing IDE CD-ROM with IDE CD-RW - kernel panic!

6. Ping stops after 10-20 pings on ethernet interface

7. Using IDE CD-RW Debian woody i386

8. Xinerama mode and automatic logoff

9. CD-RW using ide-scsi on kernel 2.4

10. How to mount CD-RW using ide-scsi??

11. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

12. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

13. cdrecord (CD software) does not see my HP8100 IDE CD-RW Drive.