IWILL SCSI card - Kernel panic, I panic:-)

IWILL SCSI card - Kernel panic, I panic:-)

Post by Anthony Whit » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi All Linux Experts,

I have purchased an IWILL SCSI ULTRA Wide card that I want to
use instead of my old Adaptec Ultra SCSI card.

When Linux boots up it tries to do a modprobe and fails
to load the advansys.o module in '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi'
and goes into kernel panic.

I have tried adding the driver statement in

   /etc/conf.modules

where my old SCSI card was set up.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried to boot the RH6.2 CD-ROM and the card is found just
fine.  It is as if the kernel can not access the
'/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi' directory when booting up
with the card.

Do I need to pass anything to the kernel via Lilo?

My '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi/advansys.0' resides
on a different partition from the boot partition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Post by Steve Marti » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> When Linux boots up it tries to do a modprobe and fails
> to load the advansys.o module in '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi'
> and goes into kernel panic.
> My '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi/advansys.0' resides
> on a different partition from the boot partition.

I'd say that this is your problem. When Linux boots up, it probes
for the hardware in the system *before* it mounts filesystems.
(It can do this since the modprobe program is located in the
/sbin directory, which is part of your root filesystem.)
If your modules directory is on a different partition, then it
truly is not visible to the kernel when it tries to load it.
My guess is that you need to relocate your /lib directory to
the same filesystem where your root directory is located.

IWILL SCSI card - Kernel panic, I panic:-)

Post by Bob Chiodin » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Build the advansys driver into the kernel.  If this controller is for
your primary disks then building it as a module is pointless.  It
stays loaded all the time.

Bob...

Post by Anthony Whit » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > My '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi/advansys.0' resides
> > on a different partition from the boot partition.

> I'd say that this is your problem. When Linux boots up, it probes
> for the hardware in the system *before* it mounts filesystems.
> (It can do this since the modprobe program is located in the
> /sbin directory, which is part of your root filesystem.)
> If your modules directory is on a different partition, then it
> truly is not visible to the kernel when it tries to load it.
> My guess is that you need to relocate your /lib directory to
> the same filesystem where your root directory is located.

But what about my Adaptec driver?  That is located in the same
modules directory and it is found just fine.

How does the kernel "find" the "/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi/aic7xxx.o"
which resides only in that location. (Same as the Advansys module).

Does this have anything to do Lilo?

Anthony

IWILL SCSI card - Kernel panic, I panic:-)

Post by Anthony Whit » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi guys, I have more information on the problem with kernel
panic.

After reading up on initrd and the 'mkinitrd' command I have
learned that if the SCSI adaptor is changed the '/etc/conf.modules'
needs to be edited.  After adding 'alias scsi_hostadaptor advansys'
and removing the aic7xxx one, I run mkinitrd to create a new
"/boot/initrd2.2.16-3.img".  I can boot and load my disks
on the new SCSI card. Great...!

The only problem is that it is only possible to have ONE driver
set up like this.  A bit akward when movieg back and forth between
the 2 cards. (Testing)  This has been solved by using 2 boot
disks that I swap between depending on what card is installed.

Hope this helps others that may be in a similar situation.

I simply did not know that one needs to make a new initrd.img
file when changing the card.

Anthony

Original post below.

Quote:> > When Linux boots up it tries to do a modprobe and fails

Post by anthony.wh.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi guys, I have more information on the problem with kernel
panic.

After reading up on initrd and the 'mkinitrd' command I have
learned that if the SCSI adaptor is changed the '/etc/conf.modules'
needs to be edited.  After adding 'alias scsi_hostadaptor advansys'
and removing the aic7xxx one, I run mkinitrd to create a new
"/boot/initrd2.2.16-3.img".  I can boot and load my disks
on the new SCSI card. Great...!

The only problem is that it is only possible to have ONE driver
set up like this.  A bit akward when movieg back and forth between
the 2 cards. (Testing)  This has been solved by using 2 boot
disks that I swap between depending on what card is installed.

Hope this helps others that may be in a similar situation.

I simply did not know that one needs to make a new initrd.img
file when changing the card.

Anthony

Original post below.

Quote:> > When Linux boots up it tries to do a modprobe and fails
> > to load the advansys.o module in '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi'
> > and goes into kernel panic.

> > My '/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/scsi/advansys.0' resides
> > on a different partition from the boot partition.

> I'd say that this is your problem. When Linux boots up, it probes
> for the hardware in the system *before* it mounts filesystems.
> (It can do this since the modprobe program is located in the
> /sbin directory, which is part of your root filesystem.)
> If your modules directory is on a different partition, then it
> truly is not visible to the kernel when it tries to load it.
> My guess is that you need to relocate your /lib directory to
> the same filesystem where your root directory is located.

1. PANIC PANIC PANIC

When playing with *new* platform - FreeBSD, accidentaly deleted file
/etc/spwd.db and rebooted. Now can't get into it at all. Is there any way how
to get everything back? I have a lot of things there... and I do not have
backup...

Please respond directly to e-mail address, this group is sometimes too big to
follow.

Many thanks

Vlasti

---

 -------   Vlasti BROUCEK, MSc GradDipSci(IT)
| *   * |  Network Administrator/Programmer
|   !   |
| \___/ |  University of Tasmania, Department of Psychology
 \_____/   GPO Box 252C
           Hobart  TAS  7001
           Australia

phone : +61-02-202346 (+61-3-6220 2346 after 19 August, 1996)
fax   : +61-02-202883 (+61-3-6220 2883 after 19 August, 1996)

2. BSD crash

3. IWILL KK266 aplus kernel panics on swap.

4. I am an inexprienced newbie

5. panic not rebooting even though /proc/sys/kernel/panic=1?

6. The suspense is killing me!

7. What is Kernel Panic: EXT2-fs panic (Device 3/65)

8. AARD code MS memo

9. Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic on 2.5.4-pre3

10. Kernel panic: aha152x panic (during LILO install)

11. Kernel panic: EXT-fs panic from fdisk

12. Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic

13. Kernel 2.4.20 Panic Report - Panic + Ksymoops + Config