Is Caldera OpenLinux any good?

Post by leere.. » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

How does this package compare to RedHat, Debian, etc.?

I've heard that RedHat is supposed to be the best overall.  Is that
really true or is that just something that people who don't really know
say in order to look like they know what they are talking about?

Lee

Post by Terry Joyc » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> How does this package compare to RedHat, Debian, etc.?

> I've heard that RedHat is supposed to be the best overall.  Is that
> really true or is that just something that people who don't really know
> say in order to look like they know what they are talking about?

> Lee

        I got the LITE version with a book on Linux. It installs just like
redhat (it is based on the free redhat release). It's basically redhat
with extras. I like the Looking Glass X window desktop alot. ANd I plan
to upgrade to the BASE version soon (it comes with MetroX, StarOffice,
Netscape Gold 3, Netware clients and other features).
        I'd reccomend it!

Post by Kertis Henderso » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> How does this package compare to RedHat, Debian, etc.?

> I've heard that RedHat is supposed to be the best overall.  Is that
> really true or is that just something that people who don't really know
> say in order to look like they know what they are talking about?

I would say that there is no "best" distribution.  (It's like talking
about the "best" shoe size.)  To each his own.  If it has the features
that you want, get it.  If not, you can always add on.

--

Kertis Henderson

Is Caldera OpenLinux any good?

Post by Riley William » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi Lee.

Quote:> How does this package compare to RedHat, Debian, etc.?
> I've heard that RedHat is supposed to be the best overall.  Is that
> really true or is that just something that people who don't really know
> say in order to look like they know what they are talking about?

I can't comment on Caldera as I've never tried it, but I can comment on
my personal experiences with Slackware and RedHat, which are as follows:

 1. On my system:

    Three different versions of Slackware were tried, and none would
    install - each locked up trying to identify the CD drive. I wasted
    the best part of a WEEK trying to get them to install.

    RedHat 4.2 appeared on the cover-CD of Personal Computer World's
    June 1997 edition, so I bought it and tried to install. Within 20
    minutes, I had a working Linux system with no problems whatsoever!

 2. On a friend's system:

    The RedHat 4.2 cover-CD refused to install since it couldn't locate
    any floppy drives (the system in question has A: = 1.44M 3.5" and
    B: = 360k 5.25" drives).

    The first Slackware CD tried installed, but couldn't locate the
    video card when setting up X-Windows.

    The second Slackware CD tried (an EARLIER version) installed with
    no problems.

My conclusions as the result of these experiences have been that the
"best" version is the one that works on that system, and other people's
experiences do not necessarily bear any relationship to one's own.

Best wishes from Riley,
UK Host for IGA-Net{tm},
The International Genealogy Association Network.

 ... WWW:   http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/5137

Post by Rick Forriste » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > How does this package compare to RedHat, Debian, etc.?

> > I've heard that RedHat is supposed to be the best overall.  Is that
> > really true or is that just something that people who don't really know
> > say in order to look like they know what they are talking about?

> > Lee
>         I got the LITE version with a book on Linux. It installs just like
> redhat (it is based on the free redhat release). It's basically redhat
> with extras. I like the Looking Glass X window desktop alot. ANd I plan
> to upgrade to the BASE version soon (it comes with MetroX, StarOffice,
> Netscape Gold 3, Netware clients and other features).
>         I'd reccomend it!

I agree it's a good distribution, with some disagreement amoungst its
users about the usefulness of some features, such as Looking Glass.  But
it's _NOT_ based on Red Hat; it's based on a distribution created by
Linux System Technologies (LST) in Erlangen, Germany.  It uses the RPM
packaging system developed by Red Hat, and both distributions try to
comply with the linux file system standard.  Thus, packages for Red Hat
will often install successfully on Caldera OpenLinux systems, and vice
versa.

--

You might be a redneck if: your richest relative buys a new house
and you have to help take the wheels off...          Jeff Foxworthy

Post by Icema » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > > How does this package compare to RedHat, Debian, etc.?

> > > I've heard that RedHat is supposed to be the best overall.  Is that
> > > really true or is that just something that people who don't really know
> > > say in order to look like they know what they are talking about?

> > > Lee
> >         I got the LITE version with a book on Linux. It installs just like
> > redhat (it is based on the free redhat release). It's basically redhat
> > with extras. I like the Looking Glass X window desktop alot. ANd I plan
> > to upgrade to the BASE version soon (it comes with MetroX, StarOffice,
> > Netscape Gold 3, Netware clients and other features).
> >         I'd reccomend it!

> I agree it's a good distribution, with some disagreement amoungst its
> users about the usefulness of some features, such as Looking Glass.  But
> it's _NOT_ based on Red Hat; it's based on a distribution created by
> Linux System Technologies (LST) in Erlangen, Germany.

Hate to disagree, but Caldera is based on Redhat. Caldera comes with
Redhats tools for administration under X, such as NETCFG, which clearly
says, right up top, RHS Linux Network Manager,   Printer config says RHS
Linux Print System Manager, etc...

Also, from the book 'Using Linux, Third Edition', published by QUE (I
highly recommend it for newbies), page 33, right at the top:
"Caldera originally provided a networking-based distribution based on
Red Hat and technology from Novell, where many of Caldera's principals
previously worked.

No where in any of these sources ( the book, and the distribution ) is
there any reference ( or clue even ) leading one in the direction of
LST.

It is a nice distribution, Looking Glass is pretty, not as useful as I
would like, although it does make it real easy to associate sounds with
functions.  It was real easy to set up though, and would be recommended
by me for new users.

-scf

Post by Lloyd Parson » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> that
> really know

> > >         I got the LITE version with a book on Linux. It installs
> just like
> > > redhat (it is based on the free redhat release). It's basically
> redhat
> > > with extras. I like the Looking Glass X window desktop alot. ANd I
> plan
> > > to upgrade to the BASE version soon (it comes with MetroX,
> StarOffice,
> > > Netscape Gold 3, Netware clients and other features).
> > >         I'd reccomend it!

> > I agree it's a good distribution, with some disagreement amoungst
> its
> > users about the usefulness of some features, such as Looking Glass.
> But
> > it's _NOT_ based on Red Hat; it's based on a distribution created by

> > Linux System Technologies (LST) in Erlangen, Germany.

> Hate to disagree, but Caldera is based on Redhat. Caldera comes with
> Redhats tools for administration under X, such as NETCFG, which
> clearly
> says, right up top, RHS Linux Network Manager,   Printer config says
> RHS
> Linux Print System Manager, etc...

> Also, from the book 'Using Linux, Third Edition', published by QUE (I
> highly recommend it for newbies), page 33, right at the top:
> "Caldera originally provided a networking-based distribution based on
> Red Hat and technology from Novell, where many of Caldera's principals

> previously worked.

> No where in any of these sources ( the book, and the distribution ) is

> there any reference ( or clue even ) leading one in the direction of
> LST.

> It is a nice distribution, Looking Glass is pretty, not as useful as I

> would like, although it does make it real easy to associate sounds
> with
> functions.  It was real easy to set up though, and would be
> recommended
> by me for new users.

> -scf

 Caldera OpenLinux is not based on RedHat, although the previous version
was.  They changed, but are still using much of the RedHat stuff, IMHO
older not as useful versions.

--
// Lloyd Parsons
// Herrin, IL

//

Post by Rick Forriste » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> [...]

[snip]

Quote:> > I agree it's a good distribution, with some disagreement amoungst its
> > users about the usefulness of some features, such as Looking Glass.  But
> > it's _NOT_ based on Red Hat; it's based on a distribution created by
> > Linux System Technologies (LST) in Erlangen, Germany.

> Hate to disagree, but Caldera is based on Redhat. Caldera comes with
> Redhats tools for administration under X, such as NETCFG, which clearly
> says, right up top, RHS Linux Network Manager,   Printer config says RHS
> Linux Print System Manager, etc...

And Red Hat distributions (and others) using IPX will have a GPL/Caldera
copyright label; Caldera has made some contributions to Linux, also.
No question, the guys at Red Hat are extremely productive, I support
their efforts both verbally and by sending money.But it's still _NOT_
the case that COL is repackaged Red Hat.

Quote:

> Also, from the book 'Using Linux, Third Edition', published by QUE (I
> highly recommend it for newbies), page 33, right at the top:
> "Caldera originally provided a networking-based distribution based on
> Red Hat and technology from Novell, where many of Caldera's principals
> previously worked.

Yes.  This was Caldera Network Desktop, ver 1.0, the first distribution.
I suspect that Caldera needed a distribution that they had more control
over to give them a product that was specific to their perception of
the market they want to persue.

Quote:

> No where in any of these sources ( the book, and the distribution ) is
> there any reference ( or clue even ) leading one in the direction of
> LST.

Try checking both the Caldera web site at <http://www.caldera.com/>
under Press Releases for May, 1997 - "LST Software GmbH Mergest with
Caldera, Inc.", or at the LST site, <http//www.lst.de/.en/index.html>.
I realize that there isn't much mention of LST around.  The only reason
I'm very familiar with them is that I participated in the beta tests of
Caldera Open Linux and had a lot of email exchange with them.  The
principle developers are Stefan Probst & Ralf Flaxa; they published a
book called "Power Linux" a month or so ago that has a two cd release
of the LST 2.2 distribution on it - one binary installation, one source.
This is essentially the OpenLinux Lite distribution, but with full
source.  It's ISBN 3-540-14556-7.

Quote: