RedHat Server Hardware

Post by Pete » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:10:57

Hi All,

I am going to be setting up RedHat 9 as a file server using samba with 10
windows 2000 clients.  I am being supplied the following hardware:

P4 2.8 GHz 800MHz FSB, HT

MSI I865PE 800MHz FSB Motherboard

Seagate 120GB Serial ATA-150

Seagate 120GB ATA-100

Hot Swappable HDD rack for 120 ATA-100 Drive

MSI GF4 MX440

Pioneer DVD-ROM

Sony FDD

Intel PRO/100 S NIC

Will this hardware be suitable to run RedHat 9?  I have heard of people
having troubles SATA under Linux.  I plan to use the SATA hard drive as the
main drive in the server.  The ATA 100 Drive will be used for back up.  I
plan to image the SATA drive to the other drive using dd and then remove the
drive from the server.  I would like the back up drive to be bootable so if
the main drive fails I can put this drive in and the server is working
again.  Is this possible?  What commands would you use with dd?  How would
you spin the drive down for safe removal?

Thanks in advanced, Peter

RedHat Server Hardware

Post by Allan Butle » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:22:16

> Hi All,

> I am going to be setting up RedHat 9 as a file server using samba with 10
> windows 2000 clients.  I am being supplied the following hardware:

> P4 2.8 GHz 800MHz FSB, HT

> MSI I865PE 800MHz FSB Motherboard

> Seagate 120GB Serial ATA-150

> Seagate 120GB ATA-100

> Hot Swappable HDD rack for 120 ATA-100 Drive

> MSI GF4 MX440

> Pioneer DVD-ROM

> Sony FDD

> Intel PRO/100 S NIC

> Will this hardware be suitable to run RedHat 9?

I believe it should.  It looks pretty normal and generic.

Quote:> I have heard of people
> having troubles SATA under Linux.
> I plan to use the SATA hard drive as
> the
> main drive in the server.

I had not heard about any problems with serial ata as it is supposed to be
transparent to the operating system.  Same interface between the two
types of systems.

Quote:> The ATA 100 Drive will be used for back up.  I
> plan to image the SATA drive to the other drive using dd and then remove
> the
> drive from the server.  I would like the back up drive to be bootable so
> if the main drive fails I can put this drive in and the server is working
> again.  Is this possible?

        Should be.  Do a Google search and see what you come up with.

Quote:> What commands would you use with dd?

I don't have the answer to this one.

Quote:> How would
> you spin the drive down for safe removal?

Shut down the computer, make sure the power is off and remove it.  When re-
installing the drive make certain the power is off and then install it.

Quote:

> Thanks in advanced, Peter

Hope I helped and didn't add confusion factor to the equation.