MPC CDrom under linux

Post by ce.. » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

I have an older Tandy Computer the has Multimedia PC (MPC) CDrom.
The RedHat install does not recognise it. I was wondering if
anyone has had this problem before and if they solved it.
NOTE: I am a Linux NEWBIE not a Computer newbie so don't assume that
      I know things.

Thank you for any help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MPC CDrom under linux

Post by Marcel Po » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

> I have an older Tandy Computer the has Multimedia PC (MPC) CDrom.
> The RedHat install does not recognise it. I was wondering if
> anyone has had this problem before and if they solved it.
> NOTE: I am a Linux NEWBIE not a Computer newbie so don't assume that
>       I know things.

Might be interesting to find out what model it is.
I had a Philips cm206 CDROM, which was ATAPI/IDE, but not an ordinary
one.
It was not just connected to the IDE port, but to the soundcard.
Such CDROM's are called proprietary CDROM's.
You need additional kernel support for it.

If you find out what model it is, and if it is sucha CDROM, than you
should read some documentation which module is needed and you can load
it with the command (as root):  insmod cm206
Or whatever module you need.
Chances are that you need to specify some parameters.

I'm using SuSE, not Redhat.
With SuSE the file /etc/modules.conf is rather preconfigured.
It has several lines about these CDROM's.
Most lines have a # sign as first character.
You can remove that # sign, in the line with the needed kernelmodule,
and if all goes well it should be loaded, when you need it.

Hope this is the answer you need.

******************           __   _
/   Marcel Pol   /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /

******************
SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

This sig is stolen.
But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

1. Laptops w/integral CDROMs: MPC Tech/Hyperdata/Maximus/DirectWave

[Note followups.]

A Taiwanese firm named Sunrex Technologies makes a laptop which is
marketed by (at least) the 4 firms in the Subject:.  These contain an
integral 2x CDROM under the keyboard made by Philips, living at port
0x300, identified by the DOS driver as a "Philips Laser Optics
ROM6010."

There is a semi-persistent rumor that there already exists a Linux
driver for this CDROM.  The support folk for MPC Tech (in particular)
have claimed to have seen such a driver, and even thought it might be
on Sunsite.  Both I and an acquaintance in New Mexico have been trying
to find this driver for the last couple of months, without success.
(I've got the Hyperdata flavor, he's got a Maximus.)

Alternatively, we have been trying to get specs to the drive, in order
to be able to hack a driver into shape myself.  The Hyperdata support
folks are quite possibly the world's least clueful, or helpful, and
though assistance with this was promised, nothing has materialized.
Another effort has been attempted through another of these companies,
but I don't know if that's working out or not.

Can anyone out there say for sure whether such a driver exists?  If
so, where might it be found?  If not, where might one suggest would be
a _reliable_ source for drive specs?  A line straight to Philips would
be good, if I had the slightest idea how to reach them.

Any clues most welcome.

2. ArcServe Client +wine emulator

3. Phillips CDD 462 MPC CDROM

4. cdrom how in rh7

5. Linux on Motorola MPC 750

6. how to start apache2 at boot time

7. Linux on FIVA MPC-206E, APM and other issues

8. How to do synchronous kernel messages?

9. Linux for MPC 800 series

10. XConfig file for MPC 775 notebook

11. Dell P100c or Micron MPC P100?

12. Background Debuging for MPC-860