Problems Overclocking K6-200

Post by Ralph Gauge » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just tryed to overclock my System, since a lot of people seemed to
have succes doing so.  Some even said that they were running their
K6-200 at 266 MHz and their system was stable.
My system has so far been running at 66MHz x 3 and it was stable.  Now I
tryed to set it to 66MHz x 3.5.  The first time I started, the system
ran just until the boot menu appaered and froze.  I rebooted, but I only
heard the memory count, the screen just stayed blank.
Now I tryed 75MHz x 3.  The system booted just fine, but when I tryed to
compile the kernel, I got compiler errors and povray quit in the middle
of calculating a picture.
I have a pretty new board (Gigabyte 586S2) with a AMD K6-200 and one
module 64MB SDRAM 10ns of good quality (SIEMENS).
Since the CPU didn't get hot during those trials, I guess that it wasn't
the CPU that caused those problems.
Does anybody have some suggestions as to what went wrong?
I dont't really mind running the maschine at 200MHz, why not try and get
all the power?  I would also like to know, what difference the higher
(75MHz) clock makes in running normal applications.
Thanks a lot
                        Ralph

Problems Overclocking K6-200

Post by Towe » Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:00:00

To properly overclock the AMD K6-200, you need to change the core
voltage of the CPU.  AMD has a 2.9V setting for the 200, and they
choose a 3.2V setting for the 233.  This will make the chip run
hotter, so adequate cooling is definitely needed, but the increase in
voltage should help stabilize the chip.
        Jesse
When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for
free*"
        --Linus Torvalds

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:13:17 +0200, Ralph Gauges

>I just tryed to overclock my System, since a lot of people seemed to
>have succes doing so.  Some even said that they were running their
>K6-200 at 266 MHz and their system was stable.
>My system has so far been running at 66MHz x 3 and it was stable.  Now I
>tryed to set it to 66MHz x 3.5.  The first time I started, the system
>ran just until the boot menu appaered and froze.  I rebooted, but I only
>heard the memory count, the screen just stayed blank.
>Now I tryed 75MHz x 3.  The system booted just fine, but when I tryed to
>compile the kernel, I got compiler errors and povray quit in the middle
>of calculating a picture.
>I have a pretty new board (Gigabyte 586S2) with a AMD K6-200 and one
>module 64MB SDRAM 10ns of good quality (SIEMENS).
>Since the CPU didn't get hot during those trials, I guess that it wasn't
>the CPU that caused those problems.
>Does anybody have some suggestions as to what went wrong?
>I dont't really mind running the maschine at 200MHz, why not try and get
>all the power?  I would also like to know, what difference the higher
>(75MHz) clock makes in running normal applications.
>Thanks a lot
>                        Ralph

Problems Overclocking K6-200

Post by Mike Ivers » Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Some of the problems sound like they are also heat related.
Be sure your heat sink is up to snuff.

--

| University Technology Services, the Ohio State University       |
| Department of Electrical Engineering, the Ohio State University |

Post by Ralph Gauge » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Some of the problems sound like they are also heat
related.
> Be sure your heat sink is up to snuff.

I checked the temperature during those trials and it didn't
get hot at all,
so I figured that it must be something else.  I guess hot
means more then 40C
and it was definetly below that.

>To properly overclock the AMD K6-200, you need to change
the core
>voltage of the CPU.  AMD has a 2.9V setting for the 200,
and they
>choose a 3.2V setting for the 233.  This will make the chip
run
>hotter, so adequate cooling is definitely needed, but the
increase in
>voltage should help stabilize the chip.
> Jesse

You are sure that I can set the voltage to 3.2V without
damaging the chip.
Cooling shouldn't be a problem, I bought a pretty good
cooler and since I
don't have lots of stuff in my machine, especially no 10000
rpm Harddisk
(unfortunatelly), I don't think that I will run into
problems there.
I am just worried that the higher voltage and current will
kill the chip.
What happens if I try to make a compromise and set the
voltage to 3.0V or
3.1V?  Does it run at all?

What if I try to run the CPU at 75MHz x 3 = 225MHz, do I
need to change
the voltage there too?  The system ran at those settings, it
just wasn't stable.
Are there any settings in the bios, that will make my system
more stable at
the higher speed?

1. K6-200 Overclocking & Dual Booting

Just curious if anyone here has seen this problem before.  I overclocked
my K6-200 at 2.5x with a bus speed of 83Mhz on a Abit IT5H motherboard
(plus various tweeks to other BIOS settings.)  The motherboard responds
that it has found a K6-210 and Linux doesn't seem to have any trouble with
this, with /proc/cpuinfo showing an increase from the normal 400 to 416
bogomips.  I've run just about every software package I could think of,
compiled a few large programs (emacs, etc.) and ran the new binaries and
found no problems with any of it.

Now, Winblows95 is not so happy.  It seems to boot up okay, sometimes.
Other times programs bail out during the boot process.  Even if it does
boot properly, sometimes an application program which will run one time,
won't the next.  If I change the BIOS back to it's default K6-200 setting,
everything is fine again.  However, I'm not changing any of the secondary
settings such as DRAM r/w burst, etc, just the multiplier and bus speed.

Does Winblows have some upper limit of bus speed it can handle, or am I
living on borrowed time with Linux as well?  Again, I've had no trouble
with Linux so far so this makes me wonder a bit.

Any help or suggested pointers toward information elsewhere would be much
appreciated.

Scott Ostrander

2. nulls in strings from dd

3. SPEC-95 for PPro-200, K6-200, Cyrix PR200M2

4. Problems with 3c590 combo

5. RedHat 6.0 installation problem on AMD K6-200

6. IPC semaphores and standard descriptors

7. Red Hat 7.0 on Old K6-200 machine

8. Intel EtherExpress Pro100+

9. Where to buy K6-200?

10. K6-200 and 2.2.6

11. Support: K6-200, Ultra ATA, SB 64, Intel Pro

12. Abit AX5 w/ K6-200? Good combo?

13. Q: experience w/t ASUS TX97-E + K6-200