DRI compiling problems

Post by LNyT » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:55:40

I'm trying to install XFree with DRI support for my Rage128 card. I'm
building everything from source, from CVS, and I'm stuck at the point where
we're asked to "make World". This procedure, very lengthy - over an hour on
my PII-350, appears to have been successful, but it does not create the
r128.o module as it was supposed to. I tried making several times, playing
with the parameters in Makefile, but it still didn't produce the module,
though it never reported any error.

I'm using kernel 2.40-test12, gcc version is 2.96, and I'm running on a
RH7.0 distro. Thanks to anyone who can help out!

-LNyT

DRI compiling problems

Post by ad.. » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:32:47

Quote:> I'm trying to install XFree with DRI support for my Rage128 card. I'm
> building everything from source, from CVS, and I'm stuck at the point where
> we're asked to "make World". This procedure, very lengthy - over an hour on
> my PII-350, appears to have been successful, but it does not create the
> r128.o module as it was supposed to. I tried making several times, playing
> with the parameters in Makefile, but it still didn't produce the module,
> though it never reported any error.
> I'm using kernel 2.40-test12, gcc version is 2.96, and I'm running on a
> RH7.0 distro. Thanks to anyone who can help out!
> -LNyT

Unless you changed your host.def file, the DRI build won't build the kernel
modules...  The idea is to get people to use the kernel module from their kernel
build (unfortunately, it hasn't always been up to date, and wasn't supported
in the 2.2.* kernels till 2.2.18).  What you need to do is change into:

xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel

and run:

$ make -f Makefile.linux r128.o

This should build the kernel module.  Make sure to install it in the proper
location ( /lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/char/drm ) and run
"depmod -a" before starting X.

If it's an AGP card, make sure you have agpsupport compiled...  If you don't
have an AGP card, make sure you disable support for it in your .config file
before building the r128.o module (otherwise it will never install properly).

Adam

DRI compiling problems

Post by Noble Peppe » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:36:58

> I'm trying to install XFree with DRI support for my Rage128 card. I'm
> building everything from source, from CVS, and I'm stuck at the point
> where we're asked to "make World". This procedure, very lengthy - over an
> hour on my PII-350, appears to have been successful, but it does not
> create the r128.o module as it was supposed to. I tried making several
> times, playing with the parameters in Makefile, but it still didn't
> produce the module, though it never reported any error.

> I'm using kernel 2.40-test12, gcc version is 2.96, and I'm running on a
> RH7.0 distro. Thanks to anyone who can help out!

> -LNyT

Well since there is no gcc 2.96, I would recommend using something that is
not beta, maybe 2.95.2. http://gcc.gnu.org

Redhat decided to name a develpment version 2.96, many people have many
problems and support for betas is more likely to be "help me fix it" than
"here's how to do that". Some one at Redhat is your best bet for help with
"2.96"

1. Compilation problem with radeon dri drivers from dri.sf.net

Hi,

I just downloaded the drivers for my radeon card from dri.sf.net and tried to
compile them, but I get the following error:
<---snip--->
cc -O2 -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -W
nested-externs -Wpointer-arith -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -fomit-frame-pointer -DCONF
IG_AGP -DCONFIG_AGP_MODULE -DCONFIG_DRM_SIS -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/
2.4.18-wolk3.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I/lib/modules/
2.4.18-wolk3.3/build/include -c radeon_drv.c -o radeon_drv.o
In file included from radeon_drv.c:32:
drmP.h:168: conflicting types for `vmalloc_to_page_R342d323c'
/lib/modules/2.4.18-wolk3.3/build/include/linux/mm.h:656: previous declaration o
f `vmalloc_to_page_R342d323c'
make: *** [radeon_drv.o] Fehler 1
<---snip--->
I'm running RedHat-7.3 with XFree-4.2 and Kernel 2.4.18+wolk-3.3.
Trying the compilation with a standard kernel gave the same error message. :-(

Has anybody a solution at hand?

thanks in advance

jens

--
http://www.jan0sch.de
GPG-Fingerprint = 8D 66 14 9A E7 4D 2B 71  AD 40 DB CF F4 4F 3B 44

2. Driver installation package problem

3. problems compiling latest DRI cvs for voodoo 3

4. bash: convert uppercase to lowecase

5. DRI still won't compile

6. restarting pppd after hangup

7. Compiling XFree86 4.0.2 with DRI for Voodoo3

8. plz help with ftp pc based files to a unix environment

9. DRI & SuSE 7.2 & XFree86 4.1, how to compile the modules?

10. DRI problems

11. Compilation problem: SiS 630 dri driver (2.4.18 and 2.4.19-rc3)

12. DRM\DRI, Alpha, xfree86 4.3.0 radeon.o problems

13. DRI Problems MGA 400 (16MB) / XFree 4.1.0.1