Question about hardwares supporting Linux

Question about hardwares supporting Linux

Post by JNB33.. » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello Linux users!
I am going to purchase a IBM-PC clone for my new PC! Actually I am
newbie about IBM-PC clone. I will enjoy Linux or PC-UNIX on it. but
I heard that we shoud be careful about choosing M/B, Video card, and
CD-ROM, etc, because some of them don't support Linux. Actually I don't
know which instrument supports or don't support Linux !!! How can I get
these information like this ?

My new PC will be as follows..

M/B Asustec PCI/I-55TP4N
Intel Triton Chipset.
FLASH AWARD BIOS.
32M DRAM.
1.6GB HDD(E/IDE)
6 times speed CD-ROM(ATAPI)
MGA Milleniam video card(2MB)
Sound Blaster Vibla sound card.
3.5 inch 3 mode FD.

I hope to get advice from you via email..8-) I am a lost sheep. Please help
me!!! I hope to know the home page dealing with the former probrem.

Thanks in advance..

P.S. Why is IBM-PC clone's world so confused ??
     Execuse of my hasty writing..
* Fumiaki Minematsu from Yokohama city in Japan.*

1. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.

Hi,

I am interested in making switching from my current OS (Windows NT) to
the 4.8 release of FreeBSD. I was wondering whether I will be able to
utilize all of my existing hardware.

The motherboard is an ATM-MAX2 (Abit) - the one item in particular
I would like to know about is on the motherboard itself:

*Onboard Audio: 6-Channel AC 97 CODEC on board

I've also got an external USB (controller v.2.00) CDROM drive by
Plextor. I will install FBSD from an IDE CDROM drive, but I was
wondering whether I will be able to use the external drive for burning
media post-installation.

I've looked around for information concerning the sound device -- am I
right to think that the pcm driver is what I'm after here?

Respectfully,
RexStout

2. NCSA httpd 1.4.x referrer_log & agent_log stats

3. How much hardware UNIX hardware to support a small college?

4. Problems with SB PCI64

5. Question: Does/Will X support Hardware MPEG Acceleration?

6. List of multiport Ethernet cards supported.

7. : Hardware compatibility/support questions .

8. ViaCrypt WWW Home Page

9. Hardware support question

10. Hardware support questions

11. Hardware Support Question

12. dvd on linux questions - hardware for it, tv out and other questions

13. Some hardware support questions...