Getting External Terminal to Work With Standard Keyboard

Getting External Terminal to Work With Standard Keyboard

Post by Ben Olmstead/BE » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

This, I believe, is an unusual problem.

I have an old WYSE terminal that I wish to use as the console display
for a Linux box.  The problem is that this terminal has no keyboard.
So I want to know: how can I get the Linux kernel to use the external
terminal with the standard PC keyboard as the console?  (Note that I'm
doing this because I don't have any extra monitors lying around.  And I
have tested that the terminal works. :-) )

I am perfectly willing to hack the kernel to do this.  The solution I
see is to build a virtual character device driver--something like the md
device for software RAID--which uses the input from one (normal)
character device, and the output from another.  I believe this would
also solve some other problems, like multi-heading with multiple USB
keyboards.

However, if there's an easier way already there, that would be good,
too.  I just haven't heard of one.

I suppose it would also be useful to provide some way to open any
program as a virtual character device (i.e., write() ops are fed to
stdin, read() ops are read from stdout).  But that may be beyond my
current abilities.

Anyway, I may be completely out there.  I don't have any actual kernel
hacking experience, and pointers would be appreciated.

--
                                         Ben Olmstead/BEM

Post by Etienne Lorrai » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> This, I believe, is an unusual problem.

> I have an old WYSE terminal that I wish to use as the console display
> for a Linux box.  The problem is that this terminal has no keyboard.

  maybe you should look at getty/mgetty/<the one you are using in /etc/inittab>

  It should be possible when you open a connection to redirect all
 output to a serial line, keeping the input - maybe by modifying its
 source.

 The problem is then that you will use terminfo/termcap to describe
 the output (how to move the cursor, how to clear the screen) but
 you have the problem that terminfo/termcap also define what the
 "special" key (pageup, pagedown, Fn) send and you will need to
 emulate those - or provide a special termcap/terminfo entry.

  It may be simpler to create a device in /dev - but I do not know
 how to do this, and you may have to modify the kernel.

  Etienne.