Creative ModemBlaster Flash 56K on Linux?

Creative ModemBlaster Flash 56K on Linux?

Post by Ben » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 12:30:09

Hi all,

   Not really sure where this post should go, so I'm trying both Modems
and Linux. Here is my problem.

I installed Linux for Windows this afternoon (for those of you who do not
know, this is a version of Linux Mandrake 7.2.8 that can be installed
without repartitioning) and so far I love it. However, there is one small
problem. I cannot get my modem to work!

During the installation, I was asked what COM port my modem was on. I
could not remember and I also cannot remember what I selected, but I now
know that the modem is on COM4. I assumed that if I guessed incorrectly I
could easily go back and modify the configuration. Apparently not.

In Linux's Internet Dialer, it looks as if only COM ports 0-3 are enabled.
I cannot get any results out of COM1,2, or 3, but COM 0 will get me
to "Initializing..." but nothing happens. I have also tried "CR, LF, and
CR/LF" -- not sure if I can remember exactly what those do, which is
understandable for a Linux newbie of one day.

I tried to change my modem's COM port from 4 to 3, but when I changed the
modem's resource configuration in Device Manager, it went from COM4 to
COM5 when I set it to what appeared to be COM3. After that, I did find a
tab in my modem's properties labeled "DOS Support," which I enabled. It
lists information used for DOS networking programs, including COM3, Base
Address 03e8, and IRQ 4. So, if I understand this correctly, I should then
be able to use COM3 in Linux to dialup my ISP. But apparently not, as
again I could only get to "Initializing..." while using COM 0.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appriciate hearing them! Drop me an e-mail if
possible. Thanks!

Creative ModemBlaster Flash 56K on Linux?

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:11:29

[posted and mailed]
On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:30:09 -0000, Ben staggered into the Black Sun and said:

Quote:>I installed Linux for Windows this afternoon However, there is one small
>problem. I cannot get my modem to work!
>In Linux's Internet Dialer, it looks as if only COM ports 0-3 are enabled.
>I cannot get any results out of COM1,2, or 3, but COM 0 will get me
>to "Initializing..." but nothing happens. I have also tried "CR, LF, and
>CR/LF" -- not sure if I can remember exactly what those do, which is
>understandable for a Linux newbie of one day.
>I tried to change my modem's COM port from 4 to 3, but when I changed the
>modem's resource configuration in Device Manager, it went from COM4 to
>COM5 when I set it to what appeared to be COM3. After that, I did find a
>tab in my modem's properties labeled "DOS Support," which I enabled. It
>lists information used for DOS networking programs, including COM3, Base
>Address 03e8, and IRQ 4. So, if I understand this correctly, I should then
>be able to use COM3 in Linux to dialup my ISP. But apparently not, as
>again I could only get to "Initializing..." while using COM 0.

Are you sure this isn't a LoseModem?  http://o2.net/~gromitkc/ and look
for your specific modem model in the database.  If it's listed as "WM"
then it will not work under Linux, end of story.  If it is a Real Modem,
then you should know that COM1 = ttyS0 , COM2 = ttyS1 , etc.  You should
also check out http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html and pay close
attention to the bits about "setserial" and internal modems.

Quote:>If anyone has any ideas, I'd appriciate hearing them! Drop me an e-mail if
>possible. Thanks!

"Post Here, Read Here" is the time-honored rule on Usenet.
http://deja.com/home_ps.shtml if you don't know an NNTP feed from a hole
in the ground.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

1. Creative Labs Modem Blaster PCI Flash 56k

I read somewhere that Linux will not work with PCI modems. Is this true?  Is
it just that no one has written a "driver" or "API" for PCI modems?

If this is not true, then does anyone know where I can go for information in
getting this PCI modem working with Linux? I'd hate to buy a new modem.

blix
newbie

2. Help !!! How to access FAT32(WIn95) from Linux

3. Creative Labs Modem Blaster Flash 56K heeelllppp!!!!

4. Dollar Universe for patrol

5. Creative labs Modem Blaster 56K Flash II?

6. utmp ut_host field trashed

7. anyone using Creative ModemBlaster v.92 PCI Modem?

8. Built-in SCSI Controller on Asus Motherboard - supported?

9. Creative modemblaster D15630 uart unknown

10. Creative ModemBlaster and compression.

11. ModemBlaster 56K PCI DI5630 Modem

12. Modemblaster PCI 56K setup in RedHat 6.1

13. Creative Labs ModemBlaster 28.8