ls gives segmentation fault.. ?

Post by Arther Den » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone had the experience with ls yielding a "segmentation fault"
>error while the rest of the machine operates normally (vi, nslookup, etc)?

>I suspect it has something to do with the bios settings (or possibly
>the power going to the CPU).......

>It's just really weird that any other program works fine, EXCEPT ls!!!

I'm getting a segmentation fault (screen says: "egmentation Fault")
whenever I try to configure an accelerated server for X windows on my C&T
64300 based card.

I don't even remenber what a segmentation fault is!!

Post by Filip M Gieszczykiewi » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone had the experience with ls yielding a "segmentation fault"
>error while the rest of the machine operates normally (vi, nslookup, etc)?

Greetings. I'll name a few possibilities (in order)

1) Corrupted binary for ls (VERY possible, it happens, nice to have a
CD-ROM with a "live" linux system (I do) to check (just do a "diff file1 file2"
and if they "differ" that's the problem (assuming you installed from
CD-ROM, of course). Copy over known-good binary from distribution disk.

2) Corrupted FS. I would umount the fs where this is happening [*] and
run fsck on it. I would also run a backup right now... GOOD OCCASION ;-)

[*] if it's the root or usr fs, you can edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.M file
(assuming slackware distribution - if not, cd to /etc and do,
'grep "fsck" */*' and edit whatever file comes up) and force it to
check the drives no matter what (even if they were umounted ok). Save,
and reboot - they will be checked. Edit file and change it back.

3) God is playing with your mind. Do backup, reboot. If it repeats, come
back and whine that some deity is picking on you :-)

QUESTION: Anyone know of an automated script or [intelligent] system that
would keep some sort of track of check-sums of critical files and would
list what has changed? I find that some crashes get fixed but nothing
"changes" but it DOES... and then I get a syslogd daemon that crashes
like mad - oops, diff shows that it's missing a few bytes here and
there, damn. No wonder... I don't have time nor the skill :-)

Take care.
--

Post by John M. Mil » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Has anyone had the experience with ls yielding a "segmentation fault"
>>error while the rest of the machine operates normally (vi, nslookup, etc)?

[ variant on suggestion: ]

Quote:>1) Corrupted binary for ls

I had a dying motherboard - maybe memory, maybe disk controller, who cares? -
which exhibited a _very_ confusing syndrome:

Ordinarily harmless programs like ls, df, ... would run once or twice, then
crash the system after some other activity.  I correlated many of these to
swapping in and out of memory, and felt at first my swap usage wasn't working.
(In DOS, equally mysterious: MS Word would start, then lock up after a few or
many minutes of use; WP on the other hand showed no problems.)

After swapping out the guts of the machine and having the problems vanish,
I poked through /var/adm/messages and found some error messages supporting
the hardware-failure explanation.  Fortunately I didn't do much which wrote
to my active disk partitions, as the potential for severe destruction is
fairly obvious!!!  (I did lose a text file which got written onto two
corrupted sectors.)

We are used to near-bulletproof hardware, but _sometimes_ the electrons
get lost.  Actually I'm amazed the OS was robust enough to ride through
a flakey board's tricks, and still generate cogent error messages.

Regards --jmm--

--

      Georgia Tech/ GTRI/ SDL, 7220 Richardson Rd., Smyrna, GA 30080
 "Software grows to fill or exceed hardware." -Parkinson's Computing Law

Post by Richard Colem » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

| QUESTION: Anyone know of an automated script or [intelligent] system that
| would keep some sort of track of check-sums of critical files and would
| list what has changed? I find that some crashes get fixed but nothing
| "changes" but it DOES... and then I get a syslogd daemon that crashes
| like mad - oops, diff shows that it's missing a few bytes here and
| there, damn. No wonder... I don't have time nor the skill :-)

The security program `tripwire' by Gene Spafford will do exactly that.
Check ftp.cert.org:/pub/tools/tripwire/tripwire-1.2.tar.Z.

Richard Coleman

1. ls gives segmentation fault.. ? (+ Question)

Greetings. I'll name a few possibilities (in order)

1) Corrupted binary for ls (VERY possible, it happens, nice to have a
CD-ROM with a "live" linux system (I do) to check (just do a "diff file1 file2"
and if they "differ" that's the problem (assuming you installed from
CD-ROM, of course). Copy over known-good binary from distribution disk.

2) Corrupted FS. I would umount the fs where this is happening [*] and
run fsck on it. I would also run a backup right now... GOOD OCCASION ;-)

[*] if it's the root or usr fs, you can edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.M file
(assuming slackware distribution - if not, cd to /etc and do,
'grep "fsck" */*' and edit whatever file comes up) and force it to
check the drives no matter what (even if they were umounted ok). Save,
and reboot - they will be checked. Edit file and change it back.

3) God is playing with your mind. Do backup, reboot. If it repeats, come
back and whine that some deity is picking on you :-)

QUESTION: Anyone know of an automated script or [intelligent] system that
would keep some sort of track of check-sums of critical files and would
list what has changed? I find that some crashes get fixed but nothing
"changes" but it DOES... and then I get a syslogd daemon that crashes
like mad - oops, diff shows that it's missing a few bytes here and
there, damn. No wonder... I don't have time nor the skill :-)

Take care.
--

| http://www.paranoia.com/~filipg | Sci.Electronics, RC, Misc FAQs + MORE!
| Enjoy your job, work within the law, make lots of money : Choose any two.
| I think for myself. I listen. I make decisions. I speak what I believe.

2. Remote ARP?

3. Segmentation Fault when trying to ls floppy

4. Freeze a Program state

5. ls --colour=no (Segmentation Fault)

6. multiple domain names

7. Segmentation faults while doing LS

8. craps for linux

9. 'ls' causes Segmentation Fault !?

10. Segmentation Fault on 'ls'

11. Slackware give me segmentation fault when running tex/latex

12. iostat -n gives segmentation fault

13. SSLeay: genrsa gives segmentation fault