Paging errors during Linux ramdisk install

Paging errors during Linux ramdisk install

Post by Steve Hay » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi People,

I've been trying to install Linux on a Friends P5/100. I'm getting
errors while the ramdisk is loaded with color.gz. The errors are
given below:

Trying to free nonexistent swap-page

and

Trying to duplicate nonexistent swap-page

This seems to indicate to me that there is some memory management error
occuring, or perhaps some of his RAM is shot (16MB).

Has anyone seen this error before? Is it hardware or software related?
Are there any known fixes?

All help greatly appreciated. Please email me rather than reply to news.
I've got to get this thing fixed urgently.

Cheers,

Steve
--

  Department of Computer Science, RMIT.       /      \   Mobile: 014 922 144
  GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001, Australia.   \_.--._/   Office: 9660 2347

Post by Ed Skladan » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hi People,

> I've been trying to install Linux on a Friends P5/100. I'm getting
> errors while the ramdisk is loaded with color.gz. The errors are
> given below:

> Trying to free nonexistent swap-page

> and

> Trying to duplicate nonexistent swap-page

> This seems to indicate to me that there is some memory management error
> occuring, or perhaps some of his RAM is shot (16MB).

> Has anyone seen this error before? Is it hardware or software related?
> Are there any known fixes?

> All help greatly appreciated. Please email me rather than reply to news.
> I've got to get this thing fixed urgently.

> Cheers,

> Steve

I recently started getting these errors when I installed a new 16MB
SIMM.  I have since determined that the memory is bad and am taking
it back.  When I run with my original 20MB I never get these errors;
they appear when I add the new memory, or even run with only the new
memory.  The wild part is that it even passed Norton's comprehensive
memory tests.  My buddy wrote me a little C function that does a simple
data-equals-address RAM test after allocating 10MB or so of RAM and
runs until it finds a mis-compare.  This found the memory fault.

Unfortunately for you, you'd have to get far enough to install the
compiler to get it to run, or I can send you a binary (a.out) uuencoded
if you like.  That only requires the A disk sets to be installed,
just enough to have a console prompt.

Anyway, I'd say the memory is flaky, hope your friend can take it back.

Good luck,
Ed Skladany

P.S.  Oh yeah, the DOS game Duke Nukem also showed up the memory faults
by getting a protection fault.  That game does some heavy 3D rendering.

1. ramdisk error during install

I've been having some major problems installing linuxppc. This is a sort
of long, involved message, but I've tried to be as complete and detailed
as possible. So, here's the story...

        I've been using linux on i386 based machines for a while now, but I
recently decided to try installing it on a power mac 5500/225 that was
available.  I downloaded all the install files and placed them in the
appropriate directories, just as the linuxppc web site described.  I
repartitioned the drive (1300 mb mac, 700 unix root, 50 swap) using Mac
OS disk tools.  I then ran the 'LinuxPPC 1999 Installer' file and it set
up the Boot Linux PPC program and everything.  So I tried to boot up
linux using the standard kernel.  No luck, though.  Midway through the
boot, I got an error pertaining to scsi0 (i have a scsi cd and an ide
hd).  Anyway, the upshot of all this was that I ended up using the
'vmlinux-2.1.131' kernel that I found on one of the linuxppc ftp sites.
It booted fine and started X-windows.  I ran pdisk successfully and
restarted the linux install program as per the instructions.  When I got
to the part where it asked me to select the packages, I was only given
the option to install the base system.  I a little annoyed because I had
spent all night downloading the 420 megabytes of RPM's, but I figured
why not (by the way, I was using the updated hdlistinfo).  It spent a
few seconds working and then acted like everything was dandy.  I
rebooted, and told the Boot program to load linux without a ramdisk and
with root set at /dev/hda5 (which is correct).  The kernel started
threatened to reboot in 180 sec.  I rebooted with the ramdisk again, and
mounted /dev/hda5.  When I looked inside, there was no /bin or /sbin or
many other essential directories.  I then tried to use the RedHat
installer, and when I got to the part about selecting the install
method, I chose Hard Drive, pointed it at the right partition and
directory and hit OK. It flased a "Loading second stage ramdisk..."
message which was promptly covered up with "Error loading ramdisk" at
which point the machine froze up.  The info VT gave me this message :

        *error in exec of second stage loader :-(

I've tried about everything I can think of to fix this. I copied the all
the RedHat stuff to my linux partition and tried telling the installer
to look there, but no luck.
BTW, the first message on the info VT when I looked every time was:

        *error opening /modules/modules.dep : No such file or directory.

Thanks a lot for reading all this.  If you've got any suggestions, I'd
really appreciate them.
--John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Building JDK 1.3.1 with patchset 6

3. "Error Loading Ramdisk" during install

4. Good autoconf/automake book?

5. unable to mount ramdisk during install

6. yamaha burner reads everything as audio cd

7. Unable to retrieve the second stage ramdisk during Install

8. help with a regex(5) expression

9. Linux install trouble: RAMDISK I/O error...

10. Error during install "Error reading header at xxxx"

11. problem installing redhat 5.1 - error in script (RPM) reported during install

12. RamDisk Problem: System Hang During Linux Installation