Web Server Hardware Recommendation

Post by Rod Roar » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hi, I'm putting together a web server running RH Linux 5.1 to host about
>100 virtual domains.
>The server will run apache, qmail, mysql and cgi scripts. Is the following
>hardware adequate? Should I add more ram, is 10k rpm scsi disk necessary
>etc.
>SYSTEM PII 300MHZ 512K
>Asus 440BX board
>128MB SDRAM
>SVGA 1MB PCI (S3)
>MYLEX SCSI card BT958
>SMC Etherpower 10Mb PCI
>Seagate 9.1Gig Ultra Wide SCSI (Cheetah)

Wow, hard to say.  I expect it will depend on the types of SQL and CGI
activity.  If that's not much of a factor then the network pipe will
probably be your main bottleneck, not disk performance.  You may want to
start with a much cheaper UDMA setup and see how it goes.

Also the Celeron 300A will perform as well as a P-II/300 and save you
some $$$.  And if you anticipate 100Mbps ethernet down the road, get a
Netgear card - they are fast and a good value.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                         Starting at $499

1. web server / database server hardware setup...

I am currently using a Redhat Linux 7.2 box as a webserver and
database server (Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL and MySQL). From what ive
heard, it would be a better setup, security and performance wise, to
separate this into two separate boxes.

My questions:

- What is the recommended setup that most popular websites currently
use? Should I have a third box and use it as a file/image server?
Separate mail server?

- How exactly do I create a fast and secure connection from the
webserver to the database server. Is it through an ethernet connection
or scsi cable??? What settings do I need?

Thank you for recommendations. I know there are many diffent options
to this. For now im interested in the budget solution but would also
like to know how it should be done in the commercial world.

-Nick

2. can any body help me with the following quesionts? thank you very much.

3. recommendation on hardware recommendation

4. Is "Talk" working ?

5. (Newbie Question) Hardware recommendations for Unix server?

6. new kernel for installation

7. Hardware recommendations for LINUX database server

8. How do I make my HP Deskjet 820CXi work in Solaris x86 ver 2.5

9. Need: ISP News Server(INN) Hardware Recommendations

10. High performance server - Hardware recommendation needed

11. Server hardware recommendations

12. Linux Server hardware recommendation

13. Hardware recommendation for Samba server...