DLink wireless kit

Post by Derek Fountai » Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:07:32

Is anyone using DLink wireless kit on Linux? I live in a area where
purchasing choice and availablity isn't that great, but a local supplier
has stocks of:

 Dlink DWL-2000AP+ 802.11G Access Point
 Dlink DWL-G520+ 802.11G Card for PC
 Dlink DWL-G650+ 802.11G Notebook Card

and I need one of each. Can anyone confirm these components will work with a
recent 2.4 kernel?

DLink wireless kit

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:14:35

> Is anyone using DLink wireless kit on Linux? I live in a area where
> purchasing choice and availablity isn't that great, but a local supplier
> has stocks of:

>  Dlink DWL-2000AP+ 802.11G Access Point

Any access point will work with any OS.

Quote:>  Dlink DWL-G520+ 802.11G Card for PC
>  Dlink DWL-G650+ 802.11G Notebook Card

Those will probably not work with Linux.  Only a few 802.11g cards are
supported, with more in the works.  Dlink uses a Texas Instruments
chip in their cards, and the specs for these are a bit difficult to
get, at best.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

DLink wireless kit

Post by Derek Fountai » Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:42:26

Quote:>>  Dlink DWL-G520+ 802.11G Card for PC
>>  Dlink DWL-G650+ 802.11G Notebook Card

> Those will probably not work with Linux.  Only a few 802.11g cards are
> supported, with more in the works.  Dlink uses a Texas Instruments
> chip in their cards, and the specs for these are a bit difficult to
> get, at best.

OK, thanks. I'm glad I asked. :o)

DLink wireless kit

Post by Kerry Sander » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:29:53

>>  Dlink DWL-G520+ 802.11G Card for PC
>>  Dlink DWL-G650+ 802.11G Notebook Card

> Those will probably not work with Linux.  Only a few 802.11g cards are
> supported, with more in the works.  Dlink uses a Texas Instruments
> chip in their cards, and the specs for these are a bit difficult to
> get, at best.

Actually, with the use of ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) and the
proper Windows driver, one can get these cards working.

I have seen successful posts for getting the DWL-G650 working in linux using
this method.  I am about to set mine up.

One can also check out madwifi...  http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

DLink wireless kit

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:40:11

>>>  Dlink DWL-G520+ 802.11G Card for PC
>>>  Dlink DWL-G650+ 802.11G Notebook Card

>> Those will probably not work with Linux.  Only a few 802.11g cards are
>> supported, with more in the works.  Dlink uses a Texas Instruments
>> chip in their cards, and the specs for these are a bit difficult to
>> get, at best.

> Actually, with the use of ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) and the
> proper Windows driver, one can get these cards working.

I'd still recommend waiting a couple of months for some card to get
proper native support.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

DLink wireless kit

Post by Kerry Sander » Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:45:07

>> Actually, with the use of ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) and
>> the proper Windows driver, one can get these cards working.

> I'd still recommend waiting a couple of months for some card to get
> proper native support.

Thanks for the reply.  After a little more research, the D-Link cards have
native support now with the madwifi drivers.  I downloaded the latest
version of the driver code from their CVS repository and built them against
my current kernel.

After doing this and the proper modprobe, I was working with my D-Link
DWL-G650 in a matter of minutes... at 54 Mbps no less.