SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?

SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?

Post by Mike Dowli » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I believe that there is a means of getting the SoundBlaster128 PNP card to
work with the newer kernels, but I have not succeeded yet.  Any help is much
appreciated.

I believe that there are problems "initialising" the PNP card.  As I recall
from a HOWTO, this can be done via windows.  Certainly, sound does work
without difficulty when I boot Windows NT.  The PNP tools does not work with
this system; the README claimed that this is the case with newer boards and
PCI ethernet cards, and that the cause of the problem is not known.  I'm
hoping that the fact that the card works with Windows NT means that the card
must now be initialised (whatever that might mean).

Cheers,

  Mike Dowling

--

It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, mike[5,7,8] have been deleted.

SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?

Post by Bradley Ye » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I didn't have any problems getting my SB128 to be reconized (I'm a newbie using
Linux Mandrake 5.3 distribution).

I've upgrade my kernel to 2.2.3 from the initial 2.036 that was installed.  I
run sndconfig to setup the soundcard on my system.  Sndconfig reconized that I
had a soundcard in my system, but it didn't know which one.  I had to manually
select the es1370 soundcard driver from the list it gave.

If you're using sndconfig, it says you should compile your kernel with sound as
modules.

--

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/9375

--

--

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/9375

SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?

Post by Mike Dowli » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've upgrade my kernel to 2.2.3 from the initial 2.036 that was installed.  I
>run sndconfig to setup the soundcard on my system.  Sndconfig reconized that I
>had a soundcard in my system, but it didn't know which one.  I had to manually
>select the es1370 soundcard driver from the list it gave.

>If you're using sndconfig, it says you should compile your kernel with sound as
>modules.

I have not been able to find sndconfig, what does it do, and where can it be
found?

I think the problem lies with properly configuring the kernel (assuming
that, having the sound card function correctly using NT, then it should work
correctly under Linux.)

Cheers,
  Mike Dowling

--

Post by Michael Fauro » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: I believe that there is a means of getting the SoundBlaster128 PNP card to
: work with the newer kernels, but I have not succeeded yet.  Any help is much
: appreciated.

: I believe that there are problems "initialising" the PNP card. As I
: recall from a HOWTO, this can be done via windows. Certainly, sound
: does work without difficulty when I boot Windows NT. The PNP tools
: does not work with this system; the README claimed that this is the
: case with newer boards and PCI ethernet cards, and that the cause of
: the problem is not known. I'm hoping that the fact that the card works
: with Windows NT means that the card must now be initialised (whatever
: that might mean).

No need to use the PNP tools, these are for ISA based cards--which the
PCI128 is not.

I've had success getting mine to work under RedHat v5.2 with kernel
2.0.36.  Just disable the default OSS sound drivers that come with the
kenrel and use the ALSA drivers instead:

        http://alsa.jcu.cz

Be sure to read through the HOWTO at the above site.

 Michael |     mfaurot     | I'm gliding over a NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP near
 Faurot  | phzzzt.atww.org | ATLANTA, Georgia!!

--

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/9375

SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?

Post by Mike Dowli » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've upgrade my kernel to 2.2.3 from the initial 2.036 that was installed.  I
>run sndconfig to setup the soundcard on my system.  Sndconfig reconized that I
>had a soundcard in my system, but it didn't know which one.  I had to manually
>select the es1370 soundcard driver from the list it gave.

>If you're using sndconfig, it says you should compile your kernel with sound as
>modules.

I have not been able to find sndconfig, what does it do, and where can it be
found?

I think the problem lies with properly configuring the kernel (assuming
that, having the sound card function correctly using NT, then it should work
correctly under Linux.)

Cheers,
  Mike Dowling

--

It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, mike[5,7,8] have been deleted.
If email to mikeN bounces, try mikeN+1.

SB128 PCI -- How to configure new kernels?

Post by Michael Fauro » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: I believe that there is a means of getting the SoundBlaster128 PNP card to
: work with the newer kernels, but I have not succeeded yet.  Any help is much
: appreciated.

: I believe that there are problems "initialising" the PNP card. As I
: recall from a HOWTO, this can be done via windows. Certainly, sound
: does work without difficulty when I boot Windows NT. The PNP tools
: does not work with this system; the README claimed that this is the
: case with newer boards and PCI ethernet cards, and that the cause of
: the problem is not known. I'm hoping that the fact that the card works
: with Windows NT means that the card must now be initialised (whatever
: that might mean).

No need to use the PNP tools, these are for ISA based cards--which the
PCI128 is not.

I've had success getting mine to work under RedHat v5.2 with kernel
2.0.36.  Just disable the default OSS sound drivers that come with the
kenrel and use the ALSA drivers instead:

        http://alsa.jcu.cz

Be sure to read through the HOWTO at the above site.

 Michael |     mfaurot     | I'm gliding over a NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP near
 Faurot  | phzzzt.atww.org | ATLANTA, Georgia!!

1. FreeBSD 4.7 and SB128 PCI

Hey guys.  I just made the switch from Windows to FreeBSD a few days
ago.  The only thing I can't get working properly is my sound card.  I
have a SoundBlaster 128 PCI card.  In my kernel config, I added this:

# Sound support
device pcm
device sbc

/dev/sndstat looks like this:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> at io 0xd000 irq 11 (1p/1r/4v channels duplex)

The output from 'dmesg | grep pcm' looks like this:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> port 0xd000-0xd03f irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0

When I first boot, suond works fine.  I can play CDs, WAVs, and MP3s.
After a while, WAVs and MP3s come out as just buzzing.  CDs still play
fine though.  Sometimes (like right now), there is a constant buzzing
coming from the sound card.  I was able to turn off the buzzing (and WAV
and MP3 sound) by doing 'mixer pcm 0'.  When I reboot, everything goes
back to normal.

Did I do something wrong?  I've read the manual for setting up the sound
card and I've googled quite a bit, but haven't found anything that
addresses my problem.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

2. tcpd problems.

3. Help: record with Linux/ALSA and SB128 PnP PCI

4. Does anyone have masquerading working on redhat 7.0

5. Buying a Soundcard. SB128 Pci or ?

6. BSD vs. System V4

7. RH6.2 with SB128 PCI

8. - Logfile analysis for Apache 1.2.4 for multiple sites

9. SB128 PCI and MIDI

10. SB128 PCI

11. MS Intellimouse and SB128 PCI problems

12. installed & configured new kernel, but system still sees old one

13. 3.4 New kernel build - panic cpu type not configured