No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

Post by Eric Wertma » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00



Hi all-

After a few tries I managed to compile myself a new kernel from the
2.4.0-test10 source.  It seems to work fine, I'm not getting any of the
unresolved dependencies or other errors I did on my first two or three
tries, but I have no sound at all.  I have a SBLive card installed, and I
put emu101k support into the kernel. I appears to be detecting the card
properly, and loading mixer settings, but I can't get any sound (no error
messages either).  Is there something I could have missed in the kernel
configuration?  BTW I am using red hat 6.2, and the 2.2.14 kernel still has
perfect sound.  Any help is greatly apprecieated.  Thanks!

 
 
 

No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

Post by Joseph C. Kope » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:43:26


As others have informed me, you need a version of modutils that is more
recent than the stock RH6.2 modutils to compile modules on a 2.4.0
kernel -- I think this is in the README or other notes for the kernel.
Try searching on www.deja.com/usenet for my postings on the subject and
responses thereto.  Hope this helps.

> Hi all-

> After a few tries I managed to compile myself a new kernel from the
> 2.4.0-test10 source.  It seems to work fine, I'm not getting any of the
> unresolved dependencies or other errors I did on my first two or three
> tries, but I have no sound at all.  I have a SBLive card installed, and I
> put emu101k support into the kernel. I appears to be detecting the card
> properly, and loading mixer settings, but I can't get any sound (no error
> messages either).  Is there something I could have missed in the kernel
> configuration?  BTW I am using red hat 6.2, and the 2.2.14 kernel still has
> perfect sound.  Any help is greatly apprecieated.  Thanks!


 
 
 

No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

Post by Eric Wertma » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:31:51


Joseph-

Thanks for the input, but I did download and install the latest version of
modutils i could find before I build the 2.4. kernel (2.3.9 or something
similar).  I may try to re-do it and load emu101k support as a module rather
than into the kernel.  Thanks



> As others have informed me, you need a version of modutils that is more
> recent than the stock RH6.2 modutils to compile modules on a 2.4.0
> kernel -- I think this is in the README or other notes for the kernel.
> Try searching on www.deja.com/usenet for my postings on the subject and
> responses thereto.  Hope this helps.


> > Hi all-

> > After a few tries I managed to compile myself a new kernel from the
> > 2.4.0-test10 source.  It seems to work fine, I'm not getting any of the
> > unresolved dependencies or other errors I did on my first two or three
> > tries, but I have no sound at all.  I have a SBLive card installed, and
I
> > put emu101k support into the kernel. I appears to be detecting the card
> > properly, and loading mixer settings, but I can't get any sound (no
error
> > messages either).  Is there something I could have missed in the kernel
> > configuration?  BTW I am using red hat 6.2, and the 2.2.14 kernel still
has
> > perfect sound.  Any help is greatly apprecieated.  Thanks!

 
 
 

No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

Post by Joseph C. Kope » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:37:36


That may help.  I may be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing that using
modules may be necessary to get sound to work.  I certainly couldn't get
my SoundBlaster compatible card to work with it support (sb) compiled
into the kernel, but was able to get it to work as modules.  Good luck.

> Joseph-

> Thanks for the input, but I did download and install the latest version of
> modutils i could find before I build the 2.4. kernel (2.3.9 or something
> similar).  I may try to re-do it and load emu101k support as a module rather
> than into the kernel.  Thanks

 
 
 

No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

Post by Eric Wertma » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:53:21


This was the case.  I recompiled with sound as a module and works fine.



> That may help.  I may be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing that using
> modules may be necessary to get sound to work.  I certainly couldn't get
> my SoundBlaster compatible card to work with it support (sb) compiled
> into the kernel, but was able to get it to work as modules.  Good luck.


> > Joseph-

> > Thanks for the input, but I did download and install the latest version
of
> > modutils i could find before I build the 2.4. kernel (2.3.9 or something
> > similar).  I may try to re-do it and load emu101k support as a module
rather
> > than into the kernel.  Thanks

 
 
 

No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

Post by Glitc » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:24:09


documentation for my ESS1868 that is in /usr/doc/packages/sound I
believe says that i can use the standard sb driver to get sound out of
my ESS chipset but all the drivers have to be modules, they can not be
compiled into the kernel.

after making the isa-pnp driver a module (it WAS built in to the kernel
and I was getting unresolved symbol errors when insmodding sb, i fixed
the problem tonight) it will work.


> That may help.  I may be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing that using
> modules may be necessary to get sound to work.  I certainly couldn't get
> my SoundBlaster compatible card to work with it support (sb) compiled
> into the kernel, but was able to get it to work as modules.  Good luck.


> > Joseph-

> > Thanks for the input, but I did download and install the latest version of
> > modutils i could find before I build the 2.4. kernel (2.3.9 or something
> > similar).  I may try to re-do it and load emu101k support as a module rather
> > than into the kernel.  Thanks

 
 
 

1. automatically loading modules after upgrading to kernel 2.4.0-test10

Hi

sorry for the long subjectline ;-)

I'm running linux mandrake 7.1 and I want to try out a new kernel
(because of the included differentiated services support). The kernel
compiles and boots well, the "tc" tool from iproute2 works as expected,
so I'm reasonably happy, but the modules aren't loading automatically, as
they do with 2.2.17... :-(

I've upgraded all the tools as described in the kernel changes document,
and I did that by using mandrake packages, so theoretically this should
be ok.

But after booting, no modules are loaded at all. modprobe works fine, I
can manually load the required modules (e.g. es1371 so I can listen to
mp3 music ;-)

I'd hate to go back to creating a script to load the necessary modules...
any ideas?

TIA

Simon

2. natd on FreeBSD 3.2-Stable really slow

3. Linux Kernel 2.4.0-test10 for i815e mainboard + onboard video

4. ? User belongs to multiple groups

5. ppp-related module loading and modem connection in RH7, kernel 2.4.0.test10

6. PCI direct access resources

7. xfree4.0.1 wont run under kernel 2.4.0-test10

8. Modem - Dial out - RedHat

9. Modconf doesn't find any modules (kernel 2.4.0-test10)

10. automatically loading modules after upgrading from kernel 2.2.17 to 2.4.0-test10

11. Building Kernel with Ensoniq Sound Scape support

12. RH 5.0 Kernel Build w/ Sound Blaster Support.

13. Yamaha OPL3-SAx No Sound when built into Kernel