How to controll a CD-DRIVE plextor with the parallel port ?

How to controll a CD-DRIVE plextor with the parallel port ?

Post by Franck Silvestr » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello !

I have a plextor PX45CS, under windows I can use it with the parallel
port (without SCSI card!). Now I want to install linux using this CD
device. Is it possible ? I've tried to install linux with a Suse
distribution, but the plextor is not recognised.

Help is welcome !

Post by david kahan » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello !

> I have a plextor PX45CS, under windows I can use it with the parallel
> port (without SCSI card!). Now I want to install linux using this CD
> device. Is it possible ? I've tried to install linux with a Suse
> distribution, but the plextor is not recognised.

> Help is welcome !

Hi!

The PX45CS is not on the supported list at the SuSE
web site.

I think you'ld need to use the development kernels
for this, if it is even possible. There is a new driver:
parport, for bidirectional parallel ports. Maybe you
could get it to work that way, I really am not sure.
You need a driver which works for that model, over
the parallel port. I gather it is a SCSI CD-ROM, so
the driver has to do SCSI over parallel port. I couldn't
find this CD-R on the  Plextor website. Is it a SCSI?

Anyway, I think it is going to be hard to install
with this CD-R, and your SuSE distribution, because
you will need a kernel with all appropriate drivers
compiled in first. And the only way to do that is to
install it, before you upgrade the kernel, unless
you have another linux box?

sorry,

- dave k.

How to controll a CD-DRIVE plextor with the parallel port ?

Post by Grant Guenth » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:54:47 -0700, Franck Silvestre

Quote:>I have a plextor PX45CS, under windows I can use it with the parallel
>port (without SCSI card!). Now I want to install linux using this CD
>device. Is it possible ? I've tried to install linux with a Suse
>distribution, but the plextor is not recognised.

Actually, there are two different issues here.  The first is whether
there is any Linux support for your device and the second is whether
SuSE has an installation strategy that can use it.

I believe that current versions of the SuSE distributions can install
from any PARIDE supported device, however, I don't think they support
the experimental parallel port SCSI drivers.

As far as I know, Plextor makes SCSI CD-ROM drives only, so presumably
some third party has integrated a Plextor drive with a parallel port
SCSI adapter.

To determine if there is a driver for your device, we need some more
information.  Is the device a recent product or something you've had
for a while ?  Do you have the DOS driver disketter (or whatever) that
came with it ?  If so, please make a listing of the files on the DOS
driver disk and send it to me directly.  Perhaps I can identify the
adapter.