Sparc 10 vs. P3 800MHz - Web Server (and Sparc 10 value)

Sparc 10 vs. P3 800MHz - Web Server (and Sparc 10 value)

Post by hector.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:59:44

I asked a question about performance between these beasts before,
thanks for the answers.  This time I'm interested in the Sparc 10 as a
web server.  In terms of traffic (because I'm bound to get thousands of
hits daily in no time), is the Pentium III still the better way to go,
or does the Sparc 10 handle traffic better?

And on a side note, I decided to check ebay to see if $25 for a Sparc
10 is a good deal.  It almost seems like it's not, even after checking
completed auctions on both the Sparc 10 and then just on Sparc Ultra
(title and description).  I know it's old, but is a machine in good
condition with a monitor, tape drive, cdrom, and Solaris version
something disks worth $25?  I know it has at least internal drives, but
he's not sure how big, and he's not sure how much memory it has ("boxed
for years").

Thanks again.
Hector

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:43:43

> I asked a question about performance between these beasts before,
> thanks for the answers.  This time I'm interested in the Sparc 10 as a
> web server.  In terms of traffic (because I'm bound to get thousands of
> hits daily in no time), is the Pentium III still the better way to go,
> or does the Sparc 10 handle traffic better?

I'd go for the P-III, without a doubt.  Unless you have a specific
interest in Sparc hardware (or just a curiosity about older hardware),
there's no reason that I can see to favour the Sparc 10.  (IIRC from the
earlier thread this is a SparcStation 10, not the newer Ultra 10, right?)

Let's keep this in perspective:  the SparcStation 10 line was introduced
in May of 1992 (AFAICT).  Models with faster CPUs came along later, but
you're basically looking at 13 year old technology.  That means slow
I/O, slow CPUs, slow everything (by current standards).  The P-III is
about 5 years newer than that in every respect.

Looking at the more practical side of things, the SS10 uses SBus for
expansion.  If you need add-in cards (a second network interface,
another SCSI channel, anything) you'll have to find these cards, which
is getting harder all the time.

I really can't see any reason to favour the Sparc in general.

Quote:> And on a side note, I decided to check ebay to see if $25 for a Sparc
> 10 is a good deal.  It almost seems like it's not, even after checking
> completed auctions on both the Sparc 10 and then just on Sparc Ultra
> (title and description).  I know it's old, but is a machine in good
> condition with a monitor, tape drive, cdrom, and Solaris version
> something disks worth $25?  I know it has at least internal drives, but
> he's not sure how big, and he's not sure how much memory it has ("boxed
> for years").

You might get better information in the comp.sys.sun.* newsgroups.
Check them out.

1. SPARC 5 vs. SPARC 10 as web server

Folks,

        We are attempting to decide between a 110Mhz SPARC 5,
or a 60 MHz SPARC 10 (Model 61).  From what we can see the
specInt numbers are better on the 10, and we expect similar
disk throughput from the two boxes.
        We got some quotes, and with 96 Meg of RAM and 2 Gig
of disk the Sparc 5 is $5400, the Sparc 10 is $3600 -- which
seemed almost TOO good a deal.
        Comments from anyone with experience on either of these
as a server would be APPRECIATED!
--
                                          John
John Murtari                              Software Workshop Inc.

http://www.thebook.com/

2. How do I configure linux with proxy

3. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

4. termd, doesn't work, is there a new?

5. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

6. modem won't hangup phone

7. Sparc 10 versus Pentium III 800MHz - which compiles faster?

8. help with a regex(5) expression

9. sparc 5 or sparc 10 for server?

10. SPARC Ultra 10 Workstation vs Server

11. ******* Only 10 Meg available on 64 Meg Sparc 10/ Solaris 2.3 ***

12. How does a SPARC IPX differ from a SPARC 5,10,etc.?

13. Upgrade SPARC-2 --> SPARC-10