Linux compatible modems....suggestions please.

Linux compatible modems....suggestions please.

Post by Kirk Kriorska Rosa VanMete » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I would like to get some suggestions on good Linux compatible modems.

Thanks in advance.

Kirk

Linux compatible modems....suggestions please.

Post by Smitt » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I would like to get some suggestions on good Linux compatible modems.

> Thanks in advance.

> Kirk

Actiontec PCI Master.  Have been using for 4 months now and no problems.
Smitty

Linux compatible modems....suggestions please.

Post by rubrsou » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to get some suggestions on good Linux compatible modems.

>Thanks in advance.

>Kirk

I am using a US Robotics #2977 PCI Hardware modem, 56K V.90. , around $50 at
accessmicro.com or affordablecomputers.com .  Set up was actually pretty easy,
run modemtool and set the modem to ttyS2 (=COM3) and then run "setserial
/dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port X irq Y" (with X and Y representing the resources
used by the modem, get these by opening a terminal window and typing
"less /proc/pci").  Test the modem (I used the query command in Kppp) and if it
works add the setserial line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.serial
so the command will execute each time the machine reboots.  On a side note, I
could not get the command to work adding the line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so I
created the rc.serial file and added the line and it worked perfectly.  I have
tried this set up with 2 other PCI modems for friends and it works perfectly.
Hope this wasn't too much information, it took me quite a while to collect all
of this information to get my PCI modem working.

Good Luck!

Post by David » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I would like to get some suggestions on good Linux compatible modems.

Anything that's not a Winmodem should work fine.

If it's external, it should attach to a serial port.  If it's internal,
it should have real modem chips and emulate a serial port in hardware.

If it is an internal modem with a custom hardware interface, or a
Winmodem, or a USB modem, or any other goofy thing that people are
trying to sell today, avoid it.  Drivers will be hard to find, if they
exist at all, and you won't find many people able to help out with it.

-- David

Linux compatible modems....suggestions please.

Post by David » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> I would like to get some suggestions on good Linux compatible modems.

> Anything that's not a Winmodem should work fine.

> If it's external, it should attach to a serial port.  If it's
> internal, it should have real modem chips and emulate a serial port in
> hardware.

> If it is an internal modem with a custom hardware interface, or a
> Winmodem, or a USB modem, or any other goofy thing that people are
> trying to sell today, avoid it.  Drivers will be hard to find, if they
> exist at all, and you won't find many people able to help out with it.

Oh yes.  FWIW, my modem (back when I was using modems) is a Zoom 2949L
(56K dual-mode, external, Lucent chipset).

I had to get a firmware update in order to fix a v.90 protocol bug (the
flash loader had to run under Windows), but otherwise, it worked
flawlessly.  I routinely got connect speeds in the range of 49-53Kbps -
close to the protocol's limit.  (Needless to say, my phone lines are
good quality and I live pretty close to the telco's central office.  No
modem can get connect speeds like that without high quality lines.)

-- David

1. Linux compatible video card purchase suggestions?

I'm upgrading the video card on my system. I would like to get one with the
least trouble and most performance with LINUX and X-windows. Keep in mind I
don't have a problem purchasing the most recent version of the InfoMagic or
Yddrasil (spelling?) bundles.

So far these are the ones I'm willing to buy.
Tseng Labs ET4000/W32 PCI 2 MB DRAM $130
Diamond Stealth 64 PCI 1 MB DRAM $130
Orchid Kelvin 64 PCI 1 MB DRAM $130

This is the system I'm running.
486 AIR-PI ISA PCI/VLB 256k Cache Green MB (intergrated E-IDE)
i486DX266 processor
(1) 8 MB RAM 72 pin SIMM
270 MB Quantum IDE
Sony 55e E-IDE CDROM
Crap knock-off video card. Paradise chipset.

Suggestions desperately needed. Thanks in advance

  Trevor Bommersbach   | Computer Design - Digital Arts |Strong-supporter-of

--------------------------------------------------------| \___/_/  _\nimage
  "A simple machine just isn't our style!" -Tamiya,AMG  | UCBerkeley, Calif

2. Getting rid of the DPMS Message on KDE startup

3. Linux-compatible laptop suggestions

4. gcc and MMX

5. Linux compatible video card purchase suggestions?

6. nat

7. 4 mm boot tape for DECstation (Ultrix 4.2a)

8. Linux-compatible Sound Card suggestions

9. modem suggestions please

10. ISDN External modems - suggestions please

11. Modem suggestions please?

12. FC7 wireless networking .. WPA-compatible NIC suggestions?????