Probs with setserial

Post by Jamie Tomlinso » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am having problems setting up my modem in my new motherboard, gigabyte
GA-5AX.  I have had the modem working perfectly in my old 486 but I
recently upgraded and have not been able to set this up since then.
Upon loading up the pc I get the Setserial boot up and it reports the
correct io ports for ttyS0,1,2 (0 & 1 being std ports and 2 being the
modem com3)  the irq's are incorrect and are reported as 4,3,4
respectively.  ttys3 should be irq 5.

My problem is whenever I try to correct this with setserial I always get
an error message as follows:

input/output error.

Nothing is actioned and I can't even type "setserial -g /dev/ttyS2"
without getting the error message.  I have never seen this error message
before and I am not sure what is causing it.  I have tried this on
several distro's including RH6.1, Definite Linux 7.0, Storm Linux and
Suse 6.3.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Jamie Tomlinson.

Probs with setserial

Post by dpac » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am having problems setting up my modem in my new motherboard, gigabyte
> GA-5AX.  I have had the modem working perfectly in my old 486 but I
> recently upgraded and have not been able to set this up since then.
> Upon loading up the pc I get the Setserial boot up and it reports the
> correct io ports for ttyS0,1,2 (0 & 1 being std ports and 2 being the
> modem com3)  the irq's are incorrect and are reported as 4,3,4
> respectively.  ttys3 should be irq 5.

> My problem is whenever I try to correct this with setserial I always get
> an error message as follows:

> input/output error.

> Nothing is actioned and I can't even type "setserial -g /dev/ttyS2"
> without getting the error message.  I have never seen this error message
> before and I am not sure what is causing it.  I have tried this on
> several distro's including RH6.1, Definite Linux 7.0, Storm Linux and
> Suse 6.3.

> Can anyone help?

> TIA

> Jamie Tomlinson.

I have never had good luck trying to set com ports to anything but
interrupts 3 and 4; not 5.  In fact you can have ttyS0 and ttyS2
share int 4 and ttyS1 and ttyS3 share int 3.
I recommend that you do it that way.  Also, make sure that the BIOS
is set correctly; the base address is set differently for sharing
one interrupt for two serial ports.

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com