Fire-wire Card For Linux

Post by John Wehne » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:51:31

I have a Sony DCR-TRV530 that has an iLinkT (IEEE 1394) DV Interface. I am
looking for a fire-wire card that will work with my camcorder to do video
capture and I am wondering which cards will work with Linux.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
John

Fire-wire Card For Linux

Post by Andrey Vlasso » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:40:05

Hi John,

I do some experiments with MPEG2 (DVD) format which you will get from your camcoder. I bought a box with IEEE1394/firewire card (134CA$ one year ago) from "Dazzle" company. I didn't had any problem to
compile support into kernel and I downloaded software which allows me download movie to HDD.  I found software "ULEAD VideoStudio" (Windows version) very convenient and usefull. Probably another
software which I would recommend for windows is "Adobe Premiere" or "ULEAD MediaStudio" but the packages prety expensive. If you will interested in it I could share with you my experience.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

NOTE: I have Sony DSR-TRV 720. Please ask the sale person a question about version of VideoStudio included in package - you may be lacky to get latest version 5.0. Othervise you have to do downloading
some patches as 4.0  need some fixes to work with Sony Camcoders.  Version 5 doesn' have this problem. You even can try this software, only you will not get full set of effects transition with trial
version.
       Linux has application which support downloading from camcoder - Broadcast2000
http://*ewarrior.com/bcast2000.php3
      but it is very limited with video effects at the moment.
     If you not interested in video editing under Windows you can find IEEE1394/Firewire card for 79CA$.

Andrey

--

Fire-wire Card For Linux

Post by Frank Patru » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:52:27

I found this link with supported cards, cameras etc...if you haven't already
found it.  I just bought a Sony DCR-TRV230 and am also looking for a good
card...

http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/hcl.php

Frank

> I have a Sony DCR-TRV530 that has an iLinkT (IEEE 1394) DV Interface. I am
> looking for a fire-wire card that will work with my camcorder to do video
> capture and I am wondering which cards will work with Linux.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks!
> John

1. HDLC and X.25 on Sun Fire-Wire 440 serial port B

I am looking for information on how to configure the serial port B
(ttyb) on a Sun Fire-Wire 440 with Solaris 9 and Solstice X25 9.2 for
an X25 link. I have't found anything in the online documentation on
the www.sun.com website. What I have found out on that machine is that
there is no HDLC driver installed.

Nick Sandru

2. Get XFree86 3.1.2 runnig using Stealth 32?

3. fire wire

4. BugID 4347117

5. Pay more than $199 for Kylix Desktop Developer?

6. Will the ThinkPad combo CD-RW/DVD drive work in Linux?

7. Fire Wire ? ?

8. fire wire

9. Fire Wire ? ?

10. Telephone wire TWO WIRE null modem cable?

11. how to measure wire speed at wire level