Diskless system - bootp card?

Post by Michae » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

I am trying to build a diskless workstation using Linux.  I can't use local
HD/FD so I need to know if there is a card that will take the place of a HD
and its boot sector that will allow me to put in all the required bootp
software in FLASH Rom/ or even the whole OS.

I have heard that some network cards have a socket for a ROM that is used
for this sort of thing, but I understood that that was for Novell only.  If
that is not correct, can anyone tell me whether there is a source for a
Linux compatible chip or source for this?  I do not know much about the NIC
hardware, so if I am saying something stupid I apologize.

Thanks in advance.
Michael

1. Diskless system - bootp card

I am trying to build a diskless workstation using Linux.  I can't use local
HD/FD so I need to know if there is a card that will take the place of a HD
and its boot sector that will allow me to put in all the required bootp
software in FLASH Rom/ or even the whole OS.

I have heard that some network cards have a socket for a ROM that is used
for this sort of thing, but I understood that card was for Novell only.  If
that is not correct, can anyone tell me whether there is a source for a
Linux compatible chip or source for this?  I do not know much about the NIC
hardware, so if I am saying something stupid I apologize.

Thanks in advance.
Michael

2. XFree-4.0.1 && Matrox G450

3. Diskless Workstation bootp (netboot 5/93)

4. Linux on a Lap-note

5. diskless linux with bootp, tftp, nfs servers on os/2???

6. rs232 port

7. Is Diskless Linux poss with bootp & NFS?

8. LILO 1.4 & BT445S HA?

9. bootp/diskless computer

10. Linux diskless station with bootp

11. Running bootp or bootpc on diskless NFS-root box

12. diskless linux with bootp, tftp, nfs servers on os/2???

13. Need info about Bootp & Imagefile for diskless workstation