TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

Post by J. Blai » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00



what's the better bet for linux?  a 16MB TNT2 or a 16MB Voodoo3?  i'm about
to buy a computer, and i don't know what video card to put into it.  i dual
boot with winblows98, too.
thanks,
jimmy
 
 
 

TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

Post by Chad Dal » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Uhm, for Linux I would say the Voodoo3. Much better support under Linux than
has NVidia. Plus, V3 will play Quake3. If you are going to play games under
Win98 only though, I would go with the TNT2 becuase it has much nicer 3D
image quality.

>what's the better bet for linux?  a 16MB TNT2 or a 16MB Voodoo3?  i'm about
>to buy a computer, and i don't know what video card to put into it.  i dual
>boot with winblows98, too.
>thanks,
>jimmy


 
 
 

TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

Post by Chris Harshma » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00


To research this topic yourself, try:
http://glide.xxedgexx.com/hardware.html

> Uhm, for Linux I would say the Voodoo3. Much better support under Linux than
> has NVidia. Plus, V3 will play Quake3. If you are going to play games under
> Win98 only though, I would go with the TNT2 becuase it has much nicer 3D
> image quality.


> >what's the better bet for linux?  a 16MB TNT2 or a 16MB Voodoo3?  i'm about
> >to buy a computer, and i don't know what video card to put into it.  i dual
> >boot with winblows98, too.
> >thanks,
> >jimmy

 
 
 

TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

Post by Aaron and Hifum » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00


The TNT/TNT2 has open source drivers for it, where as the 3dfx doesn't. They both
support openGL, but the voodoo has better drivers right now. That will change in
the near future though, as the tnt drivers were only recently released in beta.
Expect the TNT2 to rip the V3 to shreds by september.

By the way, quake3 runs alright on my linux box with a tnt using the new drivers
for the tnt, Chad. ;-)

Aaron


> To research this topic yourself, try:
> http://glide.xxedgexx.com/hardware.html


> > Uhm, for Linux I would say the Voodoo3. Much better support under Linux than
> > has NVidia. Plus, V3 will play Quake3. If you are going to play games under
> > Win98 only though, I would go with the TNT2 becuase it has much nicer 3D
> > image quality.


> > >what's the better bet for linux?  a 16MB TNT2 or a 16MB Voodoo3?  i'm about
> > >to buy a computer, and i don't know what video card to put into it.  i dual
> > >boot with winblows98, too.
> > >thanks,
> > >jimmy

 
 
 

TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

Post by Chris Warne » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:> By the way, quake3 runs alright on my linux box with a tnt using the new
drivers
> for the tnt, Chad. ;-)

How do you get Windows Games Working Under Linux?

Chris

 
 
 

TNT2 or 3dfx Voodoo3?...

Post by Aaron and Hifum » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quake3 is not a windows game. It has executables for a bunch of different
platforms. So does quake, quake 2 and doom from ID. If you do some looking
around, you'll find that there, in fact, quite a few games in the process of
being ported or have already been ported. Civilization:CTP is one game that
was released with a linux version. A lot of games just need the executable
changed, and then you can use all the huge data files, etc... from the
windows version. I can't possibly list all the port games here.

Another option is to use WINE to run various games. People have had luck with
all sorts of software, not just games with wine. In essence, wine is
rewriting the windows .dll files, and giving linux a way to deal with them.
Check it out at www.winehq.com

Aaron


> > By the way, quake3 runs alright on my linux box with a tnt using the new
> drivers
> > for the tnt, Chad. ;-)

> How do you get Windows Games Working Under Linux?

> Chris

 
 
 

1. mandrake6.0 and 3dfx voodoo3 3000 question

i hate to sound like a clueless first timer,
but if it walks like a duck.... well, anyways:

I'm having severe trouble seting up Mandrake6.0
to work with my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000.  The graphics
setup doesn't have the card in it, and the
instructions on the 3dfx site:

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=31

seem a little advanced (oh gawd- did that sound
bad or what; this is humiliating, i know dos,
windows, and macs like the back of my hand, but
linux is turning out to be a bit of a challenge)
for the mere likes of me.  They have instructions
that i could probably trudge through, but they don't
have a directory that you are supposed to put the
drivers in, etc etc, and also it says that some of
them are only distributed as source (!) and that i
have to compile them (again, a little off of my
linux skill level).  If anyone could possibly help
me out in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the bash shell at this point, can get into
the KDE interface, but only at a 300x200 (cant remember
specifically the size) virtual desktop, resolution
step controls don't work.

=================
Thanks in advance
=================

LINUX distribution:
  Linux Mandrake release 6.0(Venus)
   *It states on the box that mandrake 6.0
    is based on redhat 6.0, if that helps.

LINUX INFO (info on screen at boot)

Linux Version: 2.2.9-19mdk
 -compiled #1 WED MAY 19 19:53:00 GMT 1999
One 400MHz K6-3 Processor, 63M RAM
799.54BOGOMIPS TOTAL
localhost.localdomain

LINUX INFO that 3dfx setup instructions
call for:

-Glibc Version:  libc-2.1.1.so*
-XFree86 Version:
  *Name:     XFree86
  *Version:  3.3.3.1
  *Release:  58mdk

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

*AMD k6-3 400 (4.0x100)
*64meg pc100 ram
*3dfx voodoo3 3000 (16mb agp, 350mhz ramdac, 166mhz
 3d core and memory)
*6.4gb Quantum udma/33 hd
*TMC AIV5G+ mainboard (via mp3 chipset)

2. From 4.4BSD to 4.4FreeBSD

3. Best bets for 3dfx Voodoo3

4. X-Win with an ATI Mach-64 Turbo

5. HELP: X server and 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 card

6. install 3.4 STABLE / Floppies

7. 3dfx Voodoo3 AGP RH 6.1

8. Jerky X Mouse

9. NVidia GeForce2 AGP and 3DFX Voodoo3 PCI in multihead configuration crashes :-(.

10. 3dfx Voodoo3 PCI will not boot!

11. 3dfx with voodoo3

12. 3dfx VooDoo3

13. 3dfx Voodoo3 annoyance/problem