How much data can fit on a 4.7 Gb DVD ?

Post by B Thoma » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:15:37

Hi,

I was trying to buring 4.6 Gigs of data (estimated by "du -hsc")
onto a 4.7 Gb DVD-R (using growisofs). However growisofs does
not burn and complains that there is not enough space. Could you
kindly explain how can one estimate how much data can be fit onto
these discs, in view of the above.

thanking you
b thomas

How much data can fit on a 4.7 Gb DVD ?

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:54:51

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:15:37 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, B Thomas

> I was trying to buring 4.6 Gigs of data (estimated by "du -hsc")
> onto a 4.7 Gb DVD-R (using growisofs). However growisofs does
> not burn and complains that there is not enough space. Could you
> kindly explain how can one estimate how much data can be fit onto
> these discs, in view of the above.

Your disc holds 4,700,000,000 bytes. Your data is 4.6 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

Post by iforon » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:48:45

> Hi,

> I was trying to buring 4.6 Gigs of data (estimated by "du -hsc")
> onto a 4.7 Gb DVD-R (using growisofs). However growisofs does
> not burn and complains that there is not enough space. Could you
> kindly explain how can one estimate how much data can be fit onto
> these discs, in view of the above.

> thanking you
> b thomas

to make it easy on ya - it's usually somewhere around 4.3GB using Base2
(1024 * 1024) as noted in the above example. The 4.7GB number is a
Base10 (1000 * 1000) misnomer.

How much data can fit on a 4.7 Gb DVD ?

Post by B Thoma » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:09:34

Thanks. Damm these marketing spin doctors :-).

b thomas

Post by Poly-poly ma » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:00:00

> Hi,

> I was trying to buring 4.6 Gigs of data (estimated by "du -hsc")
> onto a 4.7 Gb DVD-R (using growisofs). However growisofs does
> not burn and complains that there is not enough space. Could you
> kindly explain how can one estimate how much data can be fit onto
> these discs, in view of the above.

> thanking you
> b thomas

A DVD holds 4.7GB of data. You are trying to fit over 4.9GB of data!

4.9GB = 4.6GiB

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

poly-p man

Post by Steve Marti » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:20:29

>> I was trying to buring 4.6 Gigs of data (estimated by "du -hsc")
>> onto a 4.7 Gb DVD-R (using growisofs).
> A DVD holds 4.7GB of data. You are trying to fit over 4.9GB of data!

I would also think that there would be some ISO filesystem overhead
that gets added by growisofs, and that may be contributing to
kicking you over the limit.

Post by joseph2 » Sun, 07 May 2006 20:27:56

> Thanks. Damm these marketing spin doctors :-).

> b thomas

>>> Hi,

>>> I was trying to buring 4.6 Gigs of data (estimated by "du -hsc")
>>> onto a 4.7 Gb DVD-R (using growisofs). However growisofs does
>>> not burn and complains that there is not enough space. Could you
>>> kindly explain how can one estimate how much data can be fit onto
>>> these discs, in view of the above.

>>> thanking you
>>> b thomas

>> to make it easy on ya - it's usually somewhere around 4.3GB using Base2
>> (1024 * 1024) as noted in the above example. The 4.7GB number is a
>> Base10 (1000 * 1000) misnomer.

No child, it is much older than that.  Way back in the 70's there was a big
flap in both the computer and business communities; neither could readily
understand that the other was talking about a slightly different quantity.
The computing was using 2^10 and metapowers of 2^10 to discuss quantities
(of memory / storage) which was addressed in binary as a convenient
metaphor.  The accountant / business world very used 1 penny in a million
dollars strict decimal accounting could not understand the utility of the
nearly the same but different "thousand".  It was smeared all over the
computer press and was significant in the business press of the time.  I
guess "never learning from history" is in again.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.??