HP Colorado 8GB

Post by Sven Koen » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Does Redhat 5.0 support the HP Colorado 8GB Tape Drive?

Thanks
Sven

HP Colorado 8GB

Post by J.R » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Does Redhat 5.0 support the HP Colorado 8GB Tape Drive?

I have used the HP Colorado 8GB drives with 'tar' for a few years now with
kernels 1.2.13 and 2.0.34.  You just need to make sure that you have
support for your SCSI card and SCSI tapes compiled into the kernel.

Rob
Disclaimer: not a disinterested party - I was on the team that designed it.

HP Colorado 8GB

Post by Marcin Golembsk » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have used the HP Colorado 8GB drives with 'tar' for a few years
> now with kernels 1.2.13 and 2.0.34.  You just need to make sure
> that you have support for your SCSI card and SCSI tapes compiled
> into the kernel.

That's interesting, because HP Colorado 8GB has been on the market
for just a few (3?) months.  Besides, the internal version is IDE
and external is parallel.

--
Marcin                                     ___
#if     YOU_WANT_TO_EMAIL_ME              ('v')

Post by Rob Si » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> I have used the HP Colorado 8GB drives with 'tar' for a few years
>> now with kernels 1.2.13 and 2.0.34.  You just need to make sure
>> that you have support for your SCSI card and SCSI tapes compiled
>> into the kernel.
>That's interesting, because HP Colorado 8GB has been on the market
>for just a few (3?) months.  Besides, the internal version is IDE
>and external is parallel.

Just because ATAPI and parallel versions have been recently released, doesn't
mean that SCSI versions were not released quite some time earlier.  Negative
proofs don't mean anything.

It's good to be skeptical of who people are on the net, but research is
warranted before publically implying someone is a liar.

My post mentioned that I was one of the developers - that should have
prompted at least some verification that this drive did not exist before
posting such implications.  The specifications for this non-existent SCSI
drive can be found:

http://www.hp.com/tape/datasheets/travan4.html

I have been using this SCSI drive since before it was released, and I
believe it was released about Spring '96.  It was known as the T4000 for
a while, and then changed to T4.  An 'i' or 'e' followed the model for
internal or external, respectively.

I have had to do restores from this drive, and the backup has always been
readable.  I did wear out a pre-production model, and got plenty of
warnings during the backup that there were problems - no silent failures.

Rob

HP Colorado 8GB

Post by Adrian Wis » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Sven

I'm sure that the SCSI versions of HP's tape drives do work.

However, the IDE/ATAPI internal version does not.

I found out the hard (expensive) way. The driver
ide-tape.c has an explicit test on the DRQ type and doesn't like
what it sees.

I'm working on a solution to the problem as I am quite motivated
to get my tape drive working. There has been some work on UDMA
for disk drives which seems to be related to the problem with the
tape drive. I've only had the tape drive for 3 days so I haven't
really had a chance to look at the problem seriously.

regards

Adrian

--
/*********************************************************************
 * Adrian Wise

 ********************************************************************/

HP Colorado 8GB

Post by Grant Guenth » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>However, the IDE/ATAPI internal version does not.

>I found out the hard (expensive) way. The driver
>ide-tape.c has an explicit test on the DRQ type and doesn't like
>what it sees.

A solution for this problem has been available for months.

Gadi Oxman, the author of the driver, would have provided it if you
asked him, alternatively you can get it from

        ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/ide-tape-patch

HP Colorado 8GB

Post by ma.. » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The adverti*ts that I've seen make this tape drive look just line
the 5GB unit, only with more capacity. If this is the case, you can
use the 5GB driver with this tape unit. In the worse case, this driver
would be a good place to start.

Unfortunately, I don't remember who did the work, but check
dejanews...

        Marty Sasaki

HP Colorado 8GB

Post by Marcin Golembsk » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> >> I have used the HP Colorado 8GB drives with 'tar' for a few years
> >> now with kernels 1.2.13 and 2.0.34.  You just need to make sure
> >> that you have support for your SCSI card and SCSI tapes compiled
> >> into the kernel.

> >That's interesting, because HP Colorado 8GB has been on the market
> >for just a few (3?) months.  Besides, the internal version is IDE
> >and external is parallel.

> Just because ATAPI and parallel versions have been recently released,
> doesn't mean that SCSI versions were not released quite some time
> earlier.

Rob, if you've read the info on HP WWW carefully you should have
noticed that these "versions" are NAMED "HP Colorado 8GB."

Sven had asked about a specific product, an ATAPI or parallel
drive, not just any HP Colorado tape drive of 8GB capacity...
So your answer to Sven's question was simply inadequate.

--
Marcin                                     ___
#if     YOU_WANT_TO_EMAIL_ME              ('v')

1. atapi streamer hp colorado (8GB)

i've got a question!

does anybody run already a HP colorado streamer for IDE/ATAPI?
or could anyone tell me where i could get some more information on this
problem?

i could write on the stremer /dev/ht0 but if i gonna start reading i got
the msg cannot read: input output error.

thank you

cu Conny    DOS-WIN-danija

2. mkmf

3. Tape drives, HP Colorado 8GB, Seagate Hornet 8NS

4. Experimental Protocol

5. Problems with HP Colorado 8GB

6. Does anyone have sar working with OSR5.0.2 and AHS 5.2.0?

7. Help needed on HP Colorado 8GB and Linux

8. NEC CD-ROM Changer

9. HP Colorado 8Gb

10. hp colorado 8gb drive

11. HP Colorado 8GB Tape Drive

12. How can I get my HP Colorado 8Gb travan 4 IDE tape drive up on Linux?

13. HP COLORADO 8GB ATAPI tape