SiI3112a SATA help

Post by Kevin Mihelic » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 04:39:34

I am on the Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard which has the onboard silicon
image serial ata chipset SiI3112a (<- verified by SATA bios boot
message).  I have the 120gb Seagate SATA drive hooked up to it, but I
have not been able to get the drive to click into DMA mode.  I am
currently running 2.4.21-pre5-ac3 (preempt), and have tried specifying
ide2=dma at bootup (ide2 being where the drive is at on the sata
controller).  I have also tried using hdparm (hdparm -c1d1X70) to enable
umda6 (150mhz) on the drive, and after that, I was able to do a speed
test on the drive (hdparm -Tt) and it was doing DMA speeds, however,
trying to mount the ext3 partition I created on it previously (in PIO
mode) or trying to cfdisk the drive, I get dma_timer_expiry messages
(sorry I dont have anything exact), as well as messages saying the drive
is busy, can't accept commands, etc, or I will get an error saying that
read() failed.  I think that the problem is the chipset being the 'a'
version, which I'm not sure is completely supported by the kernel as of
yet.  Any ideas or help will be immensely appreciated, as I'm out of
thoughts myself.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

1. SATA bus freeze with 2.4.21, sii3112A and Intel mb 7505vb, with max_kb_per_request 15

Hi!

Motherboard is:
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/SE7505VB2/index.htm?iid=ipp_srvr+...

Controller is sii3112a

I activated the trick with max_kb_per_request
Kernel 2.4.21 doesn't enable UDMA on the channels.
If I enable DMA (hdparm) the computer ALMOST freeze.
I can switch the consoles but with a 5 sec delay.
But, seems that the bus freeze. No activity even after 2 minutes.
I had to reboot.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

-

2. Mail API for AIX?

3. SiI3112A on Solaris 10 x86

4. problem with my sound card and KDE

5. Support for SiI3112A RAID

6. problem with emacs installation

7. SATA HD Help

8. MD5 checksum for Dec23 3.4 ISO image?

9. SATA help needed

10. SATA Drives on Intel MB w/ Fedora core 1 - HELP

11. HELP REGARDING SATA Hard Disk DRIVER

12. Solaris 10 SATA support

13. SATA RAID with HDs in separate box?