What is the correct procedure to transfer hda+hdb raid-1 => hda+hdc raid-1 ?

What is the correct procedure to transfer hda+hdb raid-1 => hda+hdc raid-1 ?

Post by Richie G » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:33:19

hi folks,

I have setup a sofeware raid-1 on my linux box,
   hda1+hdb1 -> md0  (/)
   hda5+hdb5 -> md1  (/home)

because hda and hdb are on same IDE controller, the preformance is really bad.

what is the correct procedure to transfer hdb to hdc ?

if I
put the hdb hardisk to hdc and restart the box
than mdadm --assemable /dev/md0 /dev/hdc1
and edit the lilo.conf and raidtab to match the setting
and reboot again.

is it the right way to make better performance with all data safe ?

Thank you very much

1. What is the correct procedure to transfer (hda+hdb) raid-1 to (hda+hdc) raid-1

hi folks,
I have setup a sofeware raid-1 on my linux box,
   hda1+hdb1 -> md0  (/)
   hda5+hdb5 -> md1  (/home)

because hda and hdb are on same IDE controller, the preformance is really bad.

what is the correct procedure to transfer hdb to hdc ?

if I
put the hdb hardisk to hdc and restart the box
than mdadm --assemable /dev/md0 /dev/hdc1
and edit the lilo.conf and raidtab to match the setting
and reboot again.

is it the right way to make better performance with all data safe ?

Thank you very much

2. French keymap for X11 ?

3. RAID-1 gymnastics (What if hard disks are switched positions hda <=> hdb)

4. Accessing Windows machines files/printers

5. BIOS-->hdb-->LILO-->{linux(hdb);windows(hda)}

6. Linux = Yet Another Unix

7. Can you use hda, hdc, hdd but not hdb?

8. Modem on x86

9. fsck -A -V -a only checks /dev/hdb* (but not hda*, hdc*)

10. moving hdb -> hda

11. How to move existing linux install from /dev/hda --> /dev/hdb?

12. HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1, what's "best"?

13. Recovery procedure for Software RAID-1 RH6.0