Soyo Soyo SY-5EMA Pro Problems

Post by jimomuraNOS.. » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 01:11:49

I've been trying to debug the following setup:
Motherboard:  Soyo SY-5EMA Pro
CPU:          AMD-K6-2/500AFX
RAM:          Kingston 128MB PC133 SDRAM
Graphics:     Pine PT5968 PCI buss SiS, 8MB
(more complete details below)

The Current Problem:

     After a lot of trying stuff, some of which
has helped, I'm trying to get rid of the following
lockup problems:

1.  During booting, it will sometimes crash at the
"PCI device listing . . . "

The following device was where it crashed:

Bus No. 0
Device No. 8
Function No. 0
Vendor 1039
Device 6326
Class 0300
Device Class:
Display Controller
IRQ: NA

This is the graphics card.  The cursor is under
the "NA".  However, sometimes the computer boots
successfully despite the "NA".  I think it boots
successfully about 33% of the time now, but I'm
not sure.

2.  Even after it boots successfully, while I'm
working with a DOS prompt (Windows is not currently
installed) sometimes the computer freezes up.
Sometimes this happens when I'm typing and sometimes
it happens when something is being printed to the
screen.  In either case, the cursor is not at the
start of the line which indicates it's probably during
something being written to the screen.  I don't think
it has crashed with the cursor at the start of a
line.  When this happens, it seems to have stopped
responding to the keyboard except Ctl-Alt-Del, which
hasn't failed lately.

     I also have a Pioneer DVD ROM drive and
NEC 4 disc CD-ROM Jukebox attached.  They
were not working reliably.  I haven't tried them
lately.

     Up until yesterday I've been booting
from floppy disk to a Windows 95 based DOS
recovery disk.  Last night I re-installed this
much to the C: partition (I also have D:, E:
and F: partitions which are now all reformatted).
It is now booting reliably from C: (except when
it locks up during booting).  I can't see
any point trying to install Linux until I get
at least this much working reliably.

---

     PCI bus speed should not be a problem.
It should be exactly 33 MHz.  The front
side bus was timed at 3x the PCI bus

SDRAM has since been decreased from 100MHz
down to 66MHz., matched against the AGP
buss instead of the CPU buss.

The following settings look like they
might have an affect.  Can anyone tell
me anything about them:

 DRAM Read Pipeline = Disabled
 Cache Rd+CPU Wt Pipeline = Disabled
 Cache Timing = Fast
 Video BIOS Cachable = Disabled
 System BIOS Cachable = Disabled
 Memory Hole At 15Mb Addr. = Disabled
 AGP Aperature Size = 64M
 OnChip USB = Enabled
 USB Keyboard Support = Disabled
 CPU to PCI Write Buffer = Enabled
 - I think I enabled this.
 PCI Dynamic Bursting = Disabled
 PCI Master 0 WS Write = Enabled
 - I tried Disabled, no apparent change
 PCI Delay Transaction = Enabled
 - I think I enabled this
 PCI#2 Access #1 Retry = Disabled
 AGP Master 1 WS Write = Disabled
 AGP Master 1 WS Read = Disabled

     Any other suggestions or comment are
appreciated.

---
The Hardware in Detail:
Motherboard:  Soyo SY-5EMA Pro
Main chip:    ETEQ EQ82C6638CE'98 MB43G72200 9926CE
BIOS:         "Award (C)1998 PC PNP 586 231402004"
              Screen info: (top)
              "Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG, ...
              Copyright (C) 1984-2000, Award Software
              5EMA_PRO-1AA1"
              (bottom)
              06/28/2000-VP3-686A-6A5LES29C-00
              (Note:  There is an update to the BIOS,
              but the documentation doesn't sound
              like it should be affecting my problem
              and I don't want to try to upgrade the
              BIOS with the current instability.)
CPU:          AMD-K6-2/500AFX
              2.2V Core/3.3V I/O, (C) 1998 AMD
              Assembled In Malasia 1110502
RAM:          Kingston 128MB PC133 SDRAM
Graphics:     Pine PT5968 PCI buss SiS, 8MB
              (on screen)
              "SiS 6326 PCI True Color Graphics
               & Video Accelerator
              8M Byte Video Memory,
               Video BIOS Version 1.25
              Support VESA BIOS Extension Ver. 2.00"
HD:           Samsung 1.6MB
Power Supply: U-Power 250W.
              output:

---
The BIOS:

Standard CMOS Features
 . . .

Advanced BIOS Features
 Virus Warning = Enabled
 CPU Internal Cache = Enabled
 External Cache = Enabled
 Quick Power On Self Test = Disabled
 First Boot Device = Floppy
 Second . . .
 Boot Up NumLock Status = Off
 Gate A20 Option = Normal
 Typematic Rate Setting = Enabled
 Typematic Rate (Chars/Sec) = 6
 Typematic Delay (Msec) = 250
 Security Option = Setup
 OS Select For DRAM > 64MB = Non-OS2
 HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability = Enabled
 Video BIOS Shadow = Enabled
 C8000-CBFFF Shadow = Disabled
 CC000- . . .
 Cyrix 6x86/MII CPUID = Enabled

Advanced Chipset Features
 Bank 0/1 DRAM Timing = FP/EDO 70ns
 Bank 2/3 DRAM Timing = FP/EDO 70ns
 Bank 4/5 DRAM Timing = SDRAM 10ns
 - I'm not sure if this is something I set at
   some point or whether this was a default.
 - After I backed off the SDRAM to 66MHz RAM
   via Jumpers 8, 9 & 10 the system became
 - more reliable but it still locks up.
 - The BIOS options here are:
   "SDRAM 10ns, SDRAM 8ns, Normal, Medium, Fast, Turbo"
 - I tried "Normal".  There was no apparent change.
   The SDRAM speed reduction is probably overriding
   this setting at this stage.
 - If I try setting Jprs 8-10 back to 100MHz SDRAM
   would these setting make a difference again?
 SDRAM Cycle Length = 3
 DRAM Read Pipeline = Disabled
 Cache Rd+CPU Wt Pipeline = Disabled
 Cache Timing = Fast
 Video BIOS Cachable = Disabled
 System BIOS Cachable = Disabled
 Memory Hole At 15Mb Addr. = Disabled
 AGP Aperature Size = 64M
 OnChip USB = Enabled
 USB Keyboard Support = Disabled
 CPU to PCI Write Buffer = Enabled
 PCI Dynamic Bursting = Disabled
 PCI Master 0 WS Write = Enabled
 PCI Delay Transaction = Enabled
 PCI#2 Access #1 Retry = Disabled
 AGP Master 1 WS Write = Disabled
 AGP Master 1 WS Read = Disabled
 Memory Parity/ECC Check = Disabled

Integrated Peripherals
 OnChip IDE Channel0 = Enabled
 OnChip IDE Channel1 = Enabled
 IDE Prefetch Mode = Disabled
 Primary Master PIO = Auto
 Primary Slave PIO = Auto
 . . .
 Primary Master UDMA = Disable
 . . .
 Init Display First = PCI Slot
 Onboard FDD Controller = Enabled
 UART 2 Mode = Standard
 Onboard Parallel Port 378/IRQ7
 Onboard Parallel Mode Normal

Power Management Setup
 . . .

PnP/PCI Configuration
 PNP OS Installed = No
 Reset Configuration Data = Disabled
 Resources Controlled By = Auto(ESCD)
 PCI/VGA Palette Snoop = disabled
 Assign IRQ For VGA Enabled
 Assign IRQ For USB Enabled

Post by Robert Grizzar » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 02:05:34

> I've been trying to debug the following setup:
> Motherboard:  Soyo SY-5EMA Pro
> CPU:          AMD-K6-2/500AFX
> RAM:          Kingston 128MB PC133 SDRAM
> Graphics:     Pine PT5968 PCI buss SiS, 8MB
> (more complete details below)
> The Current Problem:
>      After a lot of trying stuff, some of which
> has helped, I'm trying to get rid of the following
> lockup problems:
> 1.  During booting, it will sometimes crash at the
> "PCI device listing . . . "

[...]

If you disconnect the DVD drive or the CD jukebox, does it start working
the way it's supposed to?  If it does, does changing which one's connected
change the way it works?

What I'm thinking is you might need to get a bigger power supply to make it
act right with the three drives you have.  I had to go from 230 watts to 300
when I added the second hard drive (on top of a CD-ROM, a CDRW and a Zip
drive) to my computer.  The symptoms were about like what you've described.

Soyo Soyo SY-5EMA Pro Problems

Post by jimomuraNOS.. » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:54:56

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:05:34 -0500, Robert Grizzard

> > I've been trying to debug the following setup:
> > Motherboard:  Soyo SY-5EMA Pro
> > CPU:          AMD-K6-2/500AFX
> > RAM:          Kingston 128MB PC133 SDRAM
> > Graphics:     Pine PT5968 PCI buss SiS, 8MB
> > (more complete details below)

> > The Current Problem:

> >      After a lot of trying stuff, some of which
> > has helped, I'm trying to get rid of the following
> > lockup problems:

> > 1.  During booting, it will sometimes crash at the
> > "PCI device listing . . . "

> [...]

> If you disconnect the DVD drive or the CD jukebox, does it start working
> the way it's supposed to?  If it does, does changing which one's connected
> change the way it works?

     I tried disconnecting the DVD and Jukebox one at a time to
try to get one or the other working, and that much didn't make
any noticeable difference, but I haven't tried disconnecting both
at the same time.

Quote:> What I'm thinking is you might need to get a bigger power supply to make it
> act right with the three drives you have.  I had to go from 230 watts to 300
> when I added the second hard drive (on top of a CD-ROM, a CDRW and a Zip
> drive) to my computer.  The symptoms were about like what you've described.

     I'm starting to conclude that this is a bigger problem than I
anticipated.  The manual says that I should have a >250W rated power
supply.  I can understand it being critical if the CD/DVD drives were
actually in use, but just booting from a floppy or HD?  I'm surprised.
I'm especially surprised because the crashes are coming long after
the critical "spin-up" part of the booting process, which is the
peak drain.

     I can add that the ETEQ chipset is apparently a licensed version
of the VIA MVP3 chipset that is well supported.  Also, although the
SY-5EMA Pro motherboard has not been reported in any of the usual
testing sites (and will probably never be tested now, being pretty
outdated) the immediate predecessor SY-5EMA+ was highly rated by
Freak and Active Hardware, both of which reported it to be top
quality, particularly in capacitors, and reliable up to 400 MHz.
(which is what they tested for back in '99).  There are very few
changes in the 5EMA Pro.

     I think the best thing I can do is de-clock it back to 400MHz
or maybe even 350-ish for now until I can budget another power supply.

     I also have 2 other graphics cards I can swap in.  One is
a "no-name" S3 Savage 4 AGP card w/8MB RAM and the other is an
ATI 128-bit PCI card (probably a 16MB).

     Thanks for the input!

Post by jimomuraNOS.. » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:54:47

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:05:34 -0500, Robert Grizzard

> > > I've been trying to debug the following setup:
> > > Motherboard:  Soyo SY-5EMA Pro
> > > CPU:          AMD-K6-2/500AFX
> > > RAM:          Kingston 128MB PC133 SDRAM
> > > Graphics:     Pine PT5968 PCI buss SiS, 8MB
> > > (more complete details below)
> > > The Current Problem:
> > >      After a lot of trying stuff, some of which
> > > has helped, I'm trying to get rid of the following
> > > lockup problems:
> > > 1.  During booting, it will sometimes crash at the
> > > "PCI device listing . . . "
> > [...]

     I didn't disconnect the CD-ROM and Jukebox.  Both
seem to be working, except for "a problem".  I'll get back
to that below.

Quote:> > What I'm thinking is you might need to get a bigger power supply to make it
> > act right with the three drives you have.  I had to go from 230 watts to 300
> > when I added the second hard drive (on top of a CD-ROM, a CDRW and a Zip
> > drive) to my computer.  The symptoms were about like what you've described.

     I'm pretty sure this is not a power supply problem now.
I spent over a day trying various combinations of graphics cards
and clock settings (speed of RAM, speed of base clock and speed
of multiplier are all separately variable on this motherboard).
I was still running into problems down to 266MHz (66MHz base
clock and 66MHz RAM with 4x multiplier).  Down that far there
the power supply was so cold you'd think that it was only running
the fans, but the Pine SiS PCI card in particular was so bad
that it booted about 1 out of 20 times.  In fact, mostly the
de-clocking didn't make that much difference.  And that's the
way it should be.  Although there were some really interesting
things happening:

1.  I found out that the ATI Expert 128 PCI card was particularly
stable.  Even that eventually crashed if I kept at it long
enough.  But it was clearly better.  The "no-name Savage 4"
AGP board was more stable than the Pine SiS PCI card.

2.  The following crashed 100% of the time on every card and
every speed and every parameter I tried in the BIOS:

dir >test.txt

This is probably a good tipoff in itself that it's a
buss problem.  In every case the "test.txt" file was
created and left with 0 length, and the computer froze.

3.  Occasionally I'd get a crash that even locked out
Ctr-Alt-Del.  In those cases, the first time you hit the
Reset button it would start to reboot, then freeze again,
and then if you pushed the Reset button a second time
it would reboot.

     There is a very slim chance that this is a blown
CPU problem.  I don't think so.  It's probably in the
motherboard, and I think probably a capacitor problem.
This is ironic since I bought it specifically because it
was rated highly on quality and specifically for capacitors.
Unfortunately, I'm long out of warranty (the parts have
been sitting since Spring -- I've been busy).

     I'm shortly going to get a Duron setup.  I was
hoping to use this as a backup computer and "testbed"
for ISA components.  But it looks like it's not worth
my time.  I'll probably try to grab another cheap
motherboard with an ISA slot, but most likely it'll
be another Socket A board this time.  I guess this was
my last Super 7 board.  Oh well.

     Lastly, I could "boot" the Windows 98 installer
CD-ROM on either the Jukebox or the DVD.  They were
working with the BIOS driver without problems.  But
When Windows 98 loaded its own CD-ROM driver, the whole
thing froze up (100% failure rate).  Their driver
didn't work.  Very odd.

     Again, thanks for the input.

1. AMD K6-2 500 & Soyo SY-5EMA Pro motherboard

     This is one of the strangest things I've seen in years.
For the time being, the situation is "resolved" but Ithink I
may need to know more about this later:

     I recently bought the above named parts, a Soyo SY-5EMA Pro
motherboard (aka SY-5EMA+) and an AMD K6-2 500MHz CPU.  The ETEQ
chipset is apparently a Via licensed chipset (MVP-3?).  According
to the manual (Copyright 1999, but actually updated at least to
May 2000 -- I have also downloaded revised documents including
the "Quick Start Guide" for 5EMA+ from Mar. 2000, and 5EMA Pro
Version 1.1 Edition: Jan. 2001, both of which are the same in
the relevant info) the CPU came in a number of voltaged, so I
should look at the package.  The chip package was marked as a
3.3V device.  The manual says 3.3V is set as follows:

SW2: 1 on, 2 off, 3 on, 4 on, 5 off

     The manual also says to populate the board starting at
DIMM 3, then DIMM 2 (iff you use 2) and then DIMM 1, only
if you are using 3.

     So I did that.  I also set the rest of the jumpers and
switches properly.

     It didn't work.  After much mucking around and returning
the motherboard and getting another (same result), the store
manager said to bring my stuff in and he'd help for a price.
I watched, he worked and paid -- I won't say how much, but it
was fair.

     First, contrary to the big deal the manual makes, he
stuck the DIMM into the DIMM 1 slot.  (Huh?)

     At first no difference.  Then after checking the manual
for a while, he "realized" something that I didn't, and changed
the SW2 settings as follows:

SW2: 1 off, 2 on, 3 off, 4 off, 5 off

     I checked the manual later and he has it set for 2.2V.,
which is common for most K6-2 versions, but not for this
particular part.  It works. (HUHHH?)

     First, there's no way that I'm misreading the chip.  It
says 3.3V.  No doubt.  But what if I'm wrong?  Well, that
would mean that I was far over-voltage and when I tried to
run it at that voltage the CPU should have been fried.
If it didn't fry the CPU, then why wouldn't it work?  It
wasn't just the DIMM slot.  The memory is still sitting in
DIMM 1 where he put it.

     So far, the setup seems to be working.  Most of the
hardware I've installed seems to work.  I'm having software
problems right now (need to re-install Win 98 first to backup
some data, then I'll be figuring out how I'm going to divide
up the disk -- or replace the HD).  But I still don't get it.
According to the manual, what I did should have worked, and
what he did was "all wrong".  What's going on here?

2. Veritas: what's the use of more than 1 non-mirrored plex in a volume?

3. SOYO SY-5EMA+ Motherboard problems ?

4. Help break a Win95 addiction

5. SOYO SY-5EMA+ Motherboard help

6. Secure Mail -Problem on a IBM FW 3.3 on AIX 4.2.1

7. Soyo motherboard (SY-P4I 845PE and SY-P4I 845PE Lite) compatibility with Linux/FreeBSD?

8. Anyone have Info on Zeus Server?

9. Soyo 5EMA+ & Diamond ViperV770

10. Cannot mount CD-ROM on Soyo 5ema+

11. Soyo SY-K7V Dragon PlusMotherboard

12. Awesome Linux System Board: Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus!

13. Linux Red Hat 7.1, Soyo SY-K7VIA and Maxtor Ultra100