USB digital camera: can't mount mass storage device

USB digital camera: can't mount mass storage device

Post by Ben Har » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 04:30:37

Linux > USB > Digital Cameras

Anyone had any luck mounting a USB digital camera in linux? I've got
an Olympus
Brio D-150 Zoom, and running Red Hat 7.2 with relevent USB kernel
modules
loaded. Using dmesg I can see that the USB Mass Storage device is
detected when
I plug the camera, however, attempts to mount it fail.

I'm using commands such as:  mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
The errors coming back say "/dev/sda1: no such device".
I'm pretty sure that these cameras are supposed to mount as virtual
SCSI
devices - my pc doesn't have any real SCSI in it. I tried mounting
every other
scsi node i could find and none of them worked either.

I had a poke around in /proc/usb and found that there were entries in
there for the camera (correctly identifying it) and usbdevfs.

any suggestions?

thanks
ben

Post by Young4er » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:03:02

> Linux > USB > Digital Cameras

> Anyone had any luck mounting a USB digital camera in linux? I've got
> an Olympus
> Brio D-150 Zoom, and running Red Hat 7.2 with relevent USB kernel
> modules
> loaded. Using dmesg I can see that the USB Mass Storage device is
> detected when
> I plug the camera, however, attempts to mount it fail.

> I'm using commands such as:  mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
> The errors coming back say "/dev/sda1: no such device".
> I'm pretty sure that these cameras are supposed to mount as virtual
> SCSI
> devices - my pc doesn't have any real SCSI in it. I tried mounting
> every other
> scsi node i could find and none of them worked either.

> I had a poke around in /proc/usb and found that there were entries in
> there for the camera (correctly identifying it) and usbdevfs.

> any suggestions?

> thanks
> ben

I am completely lost in what you had said above.  Could you please tell us
more about the detection of your USB Digital Cam (do a dmesg and cut out
the messages that says the detection of the Cam and paste it on your next
post)?  Until then, I really don't know the USB Mass Storage device
detected on what /dev?

Post by Steve Wample » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:28:19

> Linux > USB > Digital Cameras

> Anyone had any luck mounting a USB digital camera in linux? I've got
> an Olympus
> Brio D-150 Zoom, and running Red Hat 7.2 with relevent USB kernel
> modules
> loaded. Using dmesg I can see that the USB Mass Storage device is
> detected when
> I plug the camera, however, attempts to mount it fail.

> I'm using commands such as:  mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
> The errors coming back say "/dev/sda1: no such device".
> I'm pretty sure that these cameras are supposed to mount as virtual
> SCSI
> devices - my pc doesn't have any real SCSI in it. I tried mounting
> every other
> scsi node i could find and none of them worked either.

> I had a poke around in /proc/usb and found that there were entries in
> there for the camera (correctly identifying it) and usbdevfs.

Does your kernel have scsi disk support enabled?  What about scsi generic
device support?  When you connect your camera, do an /sbin/lsmod to see
if any of the scsi support modules are being loaded.  Also run 'dmesg'
to see what errors (if any) are occuring.

You should be able to see something under /proc/scsi relating to
usb.  On my system:

tapestry% ls /proc/scsi
aha152x  aic7xxx  scsi  sg  usb-storage-0

tapestry% ls /proc/scsi/usb*
2
tapestry% cat /proc/scsi/usb*/2
   Host scsi2: usb-storage
       Vendor: OLYMPUS
      Product: E-10

If you don't see something similar, then I suspect you system doesn't have
scsi configured.

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory

Post by Ben Har » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:08:50

> Does your kernel have scsi disk support enabled?  What about scsi generic
> device support?  When you connect your camera, do an /sbin/lsmod to see
> if any of the scsi support modules are being loaded.  Also run 'dmesg'
> to see what errors (if any) are occuring.

Yep, I'd noticed that sr_mod.o is loaded.
I went and insmod'ed all the other scsi modules i could think of
so that on my last test, i had, (sg st sd_mod usb-storage sr_mod ide-scsi)
loaded.

Quote:> You should be able to see something under /proc/scsi relating to
> usb.

Yep:

   Host scsi1: usb-storage
       Vendor: OLYMPUS
      Product: C-1Z,D-150Z
Serial Number: 102017562
     Protocol: Transparent SCSI
    Transport: Bulk
         GUID: 07b401020000000102017562
     Attached: 1

However, this doesn't look too good to me. Shouldn't the camera
vendor information pop up in here as well?

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: CD-Writer+ 8100  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor:          Model:                  Rev:
  Type:   <NULL>                ANSI SCSI revision: ffffffff

So I went and poked around in /proc/scsi/sg. I don't really know what
this info means, but I thought it might be useful :-)

dev_max(currently)=8 max_active_device=2 (origin 1)
 scsi_dma_free_sectors=112 sg_pool_secs_aval=320 def_reserved_size=32768

0       0       0       0       5       1       5       1       1
2       0       0       0       -1      0       1       1       1

HP              CD-Writer+ 8100         1.0g

I did not boot with the camera plugged in. (might try that)
I un/re-plugged the camera once during this process.

Here's what dmesg says (usb/scsi entries at least)

{snip,snip}
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.259 $ time 17:36:49 Sep  6 2001
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1060, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.251:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8100   Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x7b4/0x102) is not claimed by any active driver.
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1536
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1186
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1188
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1190
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1192
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1194
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3
usb-storage: host_reset() requested but not implemented
scsi: device set offline - command error recover failed: host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1926
resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1
resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type -1
resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1

I guess my basic questions are now:

1. Am I missing any SCSI modules? (loaded: sg st sd_mod usb-storage sr_mod ide-scsi)
2. How do I determine from which device should I mount the drive?

thanks again

cheers,
ben

Post by Kevin Kramme » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 02:12:54

> Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type -1
> resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1

have you tried to mount /dev/sg1?

Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

Post by Ben Har » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:07:33

> > Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type -1
> > resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1

> have you tried to mount /dev/sg1?

mount: /dev/sg1 is not a block device

no luck there.
how frustrating.

well, i just tried this to see if it will mount anything...

find /dev -type b|perl -ne 'chop;`mount -type vfat $_ /mnt/camera`'

no joy. argh.

if only i could get the scsi to make a device i can mount, i'd be fine.

well... here is what dmesg is saying lately...

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3
usb-storage: host_reset() requested but not implemented
scsi: device set offline - command error recover failed: host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1413

Post by Gerhard Kowa » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:14:41

Ben Hardy schrieb:

> > > Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type -1
> > > resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1

> > have you tried to mount /dev/sg1?

> mount: /dev/sg1 is not a block device

> no luck there.

tryed /dev/sda1 ?

Post by Ben Har » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:25:39

> > > have you tried to mount /dev/sg1?

> > mount: /dev/sg1 is not a block device

> > no luck there.
>  tryed /dev/sda1 ?

yes. so such device. the file exists in /dev, but i can't mount it