Problems getting ALSA sound to work.

Post by stev » Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:44:00

I compiled the alsa driver, utls, and tools, with PnP support.  Ran
modprobe snd-emu10k1 and modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth

I am runnng rh7.2 ans a SB live! soundcard.

the modules loaded fine.  I turned up volumes/unmuted using amixer.
Xmms give me a no sound device error when trying to play with either
esound or OSS device plugins.  No sound is played in Wine either.
Anyone know what is wrong?  Thanks

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Mon, 05 Aug 2002 04:13:54

> I compiled the alsa driver, utls, and tools, with PnP support.  Ran
> modprobe snd-emu10k1 and modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth

> I am runnng rh7.2 ans a SB live! soundcard.

> the modules loaded fine.  I turned up volumes/unmuted using amixer.
> Xmms give me a no sound device error when trying to play with either
> esound or OSS device plugins.  No sound is played in Wine either.
> Anyone know what is wrong?  Thanks

Using the OSS plugin for XMMS causes it to look for an OSS
device.  (Probably esound and Wine are also looking of OSS
sound devices, but I'm not sure since I don't use either.)

You have the ALSA device drivers installed, not OSS.  So you
have two choices:  either find an ALSA plugin for XMMS, or
make the ALSA drivers emulate OSS.  The second option should
be just a matter of "modprobe snd-pcm-oss".  (You may not
have built the module in which case you'd have to do that
first, but IIRC it is configured to be built by default.)

HTH,

J-P Stewart

Problems getting ALSA sound to work.

hmm, I added it and it still didnt do anything....

Post by Hale » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:19:54

> hmm, I added it and it still didnt do anything....

These are the modules for i810, where xmms works, see if you are missing any

snd-pcm-oss
snd-pcm-plugin
snd-mixer-oss
snd-card-intel8x0
snd-pcm
snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec
snd-mixer
snd

1. problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

All,

I had success getting ALSA to work on my debian 2.4.18 system (this I
verify by using aplay on a wav file).

I've had less success with OSS compatability within ALSA. I did
modprobe snd-pcm-oss and modprobe snd-mixer-oss and see them in lsmod.

But, when I cat a wav file to /dev/dsp I just get garbage noise
through the speakers.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. SYN Stealth Scan

3. Getting Sound to Work with Microft Sound

4. Term Networking

5. has ANYONE gotten an acer aw35 working with ALSA?

6. Stupid config86 question...

7. Getting ALSA to work

8. File name

9. ALSA modprobe works, but amixer thinks no alsa

10. How do I config a yamaha 724 sound card to work using ALSA?

11. Sound card not working with ALSA

12. Can't get ASRock K7VM2 alsa sound via82xx working

13. Problem Getting My Sound Card to Work....