sndconfig problems

Post by Simon H » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My Linux system has no working sound at present (e.g. CDs). Running
sndconfig, all goes well until I get to the bit where it plays a sound
sample. I've tried several configurations: in some cases I can't hear
the sound, so I guess in these cases I've got it configured wrong. In
other cases I still don't hear any sound but get a message like:

Modprobe error:

/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc/cs4232.0:
init module: Device or resource busy
uart401: Device or resource busy

which may as well be Greek to me. It's RH6.1 on a Toshiba Satellite. Any
suggestions?

Thanks (again!)
Simon

1. Soundblaster 16 sndconfig Problem

Hi,

I could not get my Ensoniq Wavetable Sound Card to work in RedHat Linux
5.1 (even though it worked fine in 4.2).  So I got a Soundblaster 16
card and installed that instead.  It's wokring better, but it's still
not quite right.  I can play CDs fine, but I can't seem to get any other
sounds (Doom, RealAudio, .wav files, etc.) to work.  For those other
sounds, I get a variety of error messages suggesting that the IRQ and/or
DMAs are not properly set.  I used RedHat's sndconfig to configure the
card.  In Windows (where everything works fine), the settings are:

        I/O Port - 220
        IRQ - 05
        DMA - 01
        DMA - 03

In the sndconfig tool, it's impossible to choose DMAs 01 and 03 at the
same time--for the 8-bit DMA, I can choose 0, 1, or 3, and for the
16-bit DMA, I can choose 5, 6, or 7.  I have tried it with the 8-bit DMA
as both 1 and 3 (with the 16-bit DMA as 5 in both cases), and I've had
the same problems in both cases.

Do I have to recompile the kernel?  And if so, exactly which options do
I choose?

Thanks,
Morgan

2. size of socket rcvbuf?

3. sndconfig problems

4. I lost my ability to boot up linux from floppy drive A:

5. Montego and sndconfig problems with 'make'

6. SysV.4 Streams and Modules programming problem: 1

7. sndconfig problems

8. using WinXP as an internet gateway

9. Running RH51 Sndconfig problem

10. sndconfig problems

11. Solution for SoundBlaster and sndconfig problems

12. Linux SndConfig Problem (Put Music in my Linux)

13. sndconfig problems :(