Video Adapter ???

Post by Bob McCarth » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I would like to configure XWindows and I know that you must have compatible
chipsets for your video card.  First of all I can't find any video card.
I've had my box open and all I have besides a motherboard/daughterboard is a
scsi controller card and a sound card.  I presume I must have some sort of
video card, somewhere? Could it be part of my motherboard?  How would I
determine what chipset is being used?  I have a Compaq Desk Pro 5120, p120
and I don't have original manuals.  What documentation I've found on the net
for it says something about  QVision.  Is this a video adapter?  Does anyone
know if it would be XWindows compatable.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Bob McCarthy

Video Adapter ???

Post by Karl Zollne » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Bob McCarthy schrieb:

Quote:> I would like to configure XWindows and I know that you must have compatible
> chipsets for your video card.  First of all I can't find any video card.
> I've had my box open and all I have besides a motherboard/daughterboard is a
> scsi controller card and a sound card.  I presume I must have some sort of
> video card, somewhere? Could it be part of my motherboard?  How would I
> determine what chipset is being used?  I have a Compaq Desk Pro 5120, p120
> and I don't have original manuals.  What documentation I've found on the net
> for it says something about  QVision.  Is this a video adapter?  Does anyone
> know if it would be XWindows compatable.

> Thanks in advance for any help,
>     Bob McCarthy

  I dont want to be discouraging but you seem to be in a bind. I looked around
on the net to see if I could find anything for a qvision video card but didnt
find much. There appear to be two different chipsets,1024 and the 1280, and
neither appear to be supported. I found another letter from another compaq
qvision user who wrote a email begging for driver support. Im not sure what the
turn around time is for new xwindows drivers for unsupported cards is. However,
the task of writing your own is a monumental challgenge. You might want to check
www.xinside.com, they are commercial but might be able to help you. And if they
dont have a driver and are not currently planning to support it can be upwards
of six months.

aha apparently there are more than two versions--look at your motherboard, and
look out for chipset numbers, if your qvision is a 2000 (2000+) you may be in
luck.....
quoted out of another usenet group(alway remeber to check under options next to
where you type in your searches on YAHOO, when you click on options(marker blue,
small type) you get another page and there you can tell YAHOO to search in
USENET......really helpful......perhaps you can reach it
direct....search.dejanews.com......

The QVision 2000 (and 2000+) cards are OEM'd Matrox cards.
IIRC the 2000 matches the Matrox Ultima and the 2000+ the Matrox
Impresion Plus/Pro.

The earlier QVision 1024 and 1280 used Compaq's own chipsets.

The OTI-087 mistake happens because the Matrox chipsets use some of
the same registers as the OAK chips (specifically the indexed
registers at 3DEh/3DFh) which can confuse some detection algorithms

I suggest you check the Matrox MGA drivers for QVision support.
------
=46inn Thoegersen, author of VGADOC           Email:  =

=46or info re: VGADOC and WHATVGA see:    =
http://www.datashopper.dk/~finth
"Lawyer: The kind who would stick a knife in your back - and then have
 you arrested for carrying a concealed weapon" - M. Mouse 7/apr/30

but in a following response:

Subject:      Re: Compaq QVision 2000 & X-Server

Date:         1998/01/22

Newsgroups:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup

[More Headers]

Unfortunately, you're basically out of luck with the Qvision. I've
tried installing X on just about every vid card that Compaqs have
shipped with since the early 90's. NONE of them are supported. I have
been able to get standard VGA out of a few but that was all. Yes, it
is a Matrox MGA chip but not an MGA2064W (Millennium I) or an
MGA1064SG (Mystique) and no, being close doesn't count. The Millenium
II chip won't even work with the Millennium I X server...no backward
compatibility with X servers I'm afraid. The only way we've ever been
able to get a Compaq to run X is by throwing a real vid card in it
(aftermarket). Oh, and no the Metro-X server won't help either...tried
that too. Recommendation #1: get rid of the Compaq and get a real
computer (anything but a Compaq or Packard Bell!)...#2 get your hands
on a supported video card.

Hope that helps!

Kevin

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:18:39 -0800, Brad Metarko

>>  I'm setting up my X-server (XFree86) on Red Hat Linux 4.2 and having
>> difficulties with video card settings and drivers.

>>  The card is an unaccelerated QVision 2000. It's installed in a Compaq XL
>> 560--which is the computer it was shipped in.

>>  Does anyone have any experience with a QVision card? It's supposed to be
>> SVGA unaccellerated OTI-087, but I can't find a supported video driver that
>> will allow me 640x480 resolution. In fact, the only resolution X has worked
>> in is 320x200. It's...more for people with a need for new lenses.

>>  Is there an easily accessible library of video drivers where I'm
>> likely to find a match or do I just need to dink with settings some more.

>> Thanks,
>> Brian

>The card is an OEM'd Matrox MGA (Ultima?) - you'll probably need to use
>Metro-X.

>BTW- how's the onboard SCSI/Ethernet working for you?

>ScottT

so... all in all it doesnt look to great... I know the feeling I also have an
unsupported card in my machine and ordered one that is supported yesterday(S3
Virge DX clone PCI roughly $70.00 mail order) Yet you might want to hold off a
while and see if any of the REALLY GREAT PROGRAMMERS out there can come up with
a driver for you....
oh and by the way -the reason that I wrote this email was perhaps to spare you
some of the time and effort, frustration, hair pulling, grovelling and begging
letter writing, countless phone calls all over the world etc....

1. Video problems with Sun 450, PGX32 Video Adapter and Solaris 2.6

I have several Sun 450 servers with PGX32 Video Adapters running
Solaris 2.8 without problems.

I need to load Solaris 2.6 on one of the units, but when I start the
installation, the video goes blank and nothing else happens....

I have tried different monitors with the same results.

Has anyone run across this problem?  Does anyone have any possible
solutions?

Greg Barrett

2. Sun SPARC station + -> ATT447 printer via 3B2

3. X and DEC's PowerStorm video adapter

4. buying computer with linux preinstalled

5. Cannot Change Video Adapters

6. xinetd for Solaris 2.4

7. Problem with M748LMRT video Adapter on the PC-100 integrated MB

8. linux socket problems - "can't identify protocol"

9. Matrox G400 Video Adapter

10. Whats the most compatible PCI Video Adapter ?

11. X problem - video adapter OK

12. AVerKey video adapter

13. ASUS V3400 video adapter in Solaris 7